Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok everyone, I'm new to this board, so please show some kindness...

My 2003 SL55 seems to be having a bad day. The air conditioning isn't working. When I start the car, the button labeled "AC off" is illuminated. Of course the blower is working, just pushing non-cooled air. I pressed the "AC off" button hoping it would cycle on the a/c as it normally does, but the light just flashes about 4 or 5 times, and then returns to a steady illumination.

Any ideas why my A/C is dead or how to fix it? Am I just having a really bad day and over looking something really obvious?

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
You need to plug the car up to star diagnose. It could be an electrical problem or you have a sensor that checks how much pressure you have in the ac system and if it leaks out a little bit it blocks A/c kompressor to protect it becuase the oil travels around the a/c with the gas can be quiet normal after the car has been standing for a long period of time eg winter garage

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm having the same problem, so many thanks for the clarification. My owner's manual says the light blinks when the refrigerant is low. So of course I went out and bought gauges and refrigerant only to discover I had plenty in the system. Is there any way to reset this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
AC OFF light stay on due to AC issue somewhere...

See this thread,
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r230-sl-class/1428623-turn-off-ac-off-light.html

You will have to reset the error (turn off the AC OFF light) using one of the tools mentioned (Carsoft or Star Diagnostics) before you can try to correct the AC system issue. The AC compressor will not kick in with that AC Off light on.

For my case, it was slow leaks somewhere, I put in the AC sealer and recharge the system. It seems to fix it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
THANKS!!!

That makes sense. I'll see if my local shop will be willing to turn the light off, so we can see if the problem reoccurs.

I also had a dying consumers battery, which seemed to be causing a number of faults. Maybe that's what triggered the AC fault too.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
A faulty SAM will turn it off, this happened to me when a SAM went down, this was followed on mine by silly faults like parking brake on when it was not.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
A SAM is a signal acquisition module, it takes all of the info for the stored data on the car, and the info on what the car has is stored in the SAM's you have 3 on the 230.

The passenger side SAM got corrosion in the pins due to condensation
see the picture.

Started off with Parking brake on lamp, next auto washers failed, then air con went off, left headlamp came on at odd times, and a faulty lamp warning.

Some of these things are stored in the left SAM and others in the right.

The corrosion in the passenger side one was so bad it blew the drivers side so that was £600, the car has to go onto STAR for the items to be stored again and activated

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.