Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 500SL
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day a buck ran right into the side of my SL500. Luckily the only damage was the plastic around the little stubby antenna - both base and cap. I bought a replacement and thought pull the interior trunk panel and easy fix - wrong. So the first question - is the best access to this unit through the trunk or am I better off accessing it by removing the rear inner fender plastic? I tried to get a look by prying the trunk formed carpet cover away (removal of said cover involves disconnecting the trunk lid armature which I am not ready to do if it does not grant me access) and there appears to be a metal plate still blocking access from this direction. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,174 Posts
The antenna is removed fro the outside. After you unscrew the antenna, there is a nut underneath that you unscrew loosen the collar from the fender.

·
Registered
2003 500SL
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks rudney. I assumed something unseen was holding it in. Still not an easy repair as it is impossible to hold the inner piece still while trying to thread the outer piece. I finally managed it by placing some electric tape around the back of the inner piece with enough slack both sides to hold it tight to the hole from the outside.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts