Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was offered delivery of the 'Launch' version of the new SL. Supposedly, all of these initial cars will be part of the 'Designo' series, running $9,500 above the base model. Due in two weeks. Can anyone describe the 'special silver' Designo color? I've heard it looks like the 'Brilliant Silver' with a bit of urine thrown in. Is that before one's morning vitamins or afterwards? Next question: Is there any real value to owning the 'Launch' version of this special car? Separately, the $9,500 for the Designo is priced from the factory, MSRP. There are no aftermarket add-ons. What exactly does one get? Thanks for any help in advance. Pete

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 2003 SL500

Go to forums.mbworld.org -- there are discussions about this model and one thread with a picture of the designo silver color

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 2003 SL500

I saw this version the other day at my local MB dealer, while firming up my order for a my new 03 SL (I'm lucky to be # 14 on the list). You are correct to assume this odd color could have been made from liquid bodily excretions, post vitamins (mega dose)! I appears to be silver with a yellow-greenish hue. One problem is it doesn't go well with the standard silver grill trim and silver fins on the air vents (which by the way are really plastic). Seems the two clash together. Interior is black, an upgraded leather (softer). Bi xenons included with upgrade, but no other options. Could be a collector someday!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw this car on Sunday

Some do not like the color, but I think it is very nice and wouldn't mind it. I would describe it as silver with a very minor yellow/green tint. It does however, seem a bit overpriced, because the only difference I could see was the paint. From the inside, it looked to be a standard charcoal interior with wood trim.<br> <br> If you can get another SL fairly soon, it might be better to spec it yourself. However, this is one lovely car, and having it right away is certainly a perk (especially if you have to wait a while otherwise).<br> <br> Justin

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i drove launch edition yesterday. imo, color is at best odd-at worst-ugly. car itself was great

although much slower than my c32 amg. ride and brakes are nearly perfect. kickdown is slow. gearchanges also slow. sport abc setting was best. interior finish excellent although i'm not fond of partial wood steering wheel.<br>
<br>
n.b. prior designo models sell for no more than standard models at trade in. buyer beware!<br>
<br>
i want to know when 5.5 l normally aspirated model will be available in usa. sl55 amg sounds excessive for non track use in the usa. my opinionated 2 cents.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excessive?

The first rule is that there is never enough power! As a C32 owner, you should appreciate this:) After owning my CLK 55 for over a year, it is beginning to feel a bit sluggish and I look forward to 486 BHP.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i share your prejudice about power but when torque and hp exceed the capacity of a chassis and tires

mischief can easily result. i am also concerned about the capacity of current tires to handle a 4400 # car with over 500 ft #'s of torque. i am currently planning to await the 2004 5.5l normally aspirated v8. of course in the meantime the siren song of amg may yet draw me in...<br>
<br>
i own a c32 amg which has been a delight--until it threw a connecting rod --my replacement engine arrives tomorrow-thank god under warranty!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What scares me more...

is all of the people that will be driving around in these cars with no formal driver training. I have my SCCA license and have spent a lot of time in formula cars so I have no problems 'handling' the car. I imagine there will be quite a few 'eager' drivers that wrap their SLs around trees. On the other hand, considering I saw a new CL55 with a an old chinese woman driving it, I think they may be quite a few underutilized SLs on the road.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
our interstate highway system was patterned on the autobahn thateisenhower observed in germany after

world war II. we have all the physical assets in place. all we really need is extensive driver education. <br> <br> i'll bet you'll agree thatit would be great to have a real u.s. autobahn beginning in texas where people drive as if there's no speed limit anyway!<br> <br> nice to see a familiar name here. i still haven't figured out how to request accelerated depreciation for my c32 with the blown engine being replaced. any ideas you have would be most welcome!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts