1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
2005 SL600, 2003 SL55, 1990 300SL
4,576 Posts
I did this job a week ago and recall having to remove:
  • The instrument cluster bezel to expose two screws at the top
  • The left-side dash cover to expose a screw at the side
  • The panel covering the left side of the transmission tunnel to expose a screw
  • The panel above the driver's feet to expose two or three screws
The instructions are in the Workshop Information System (WIS). Maybe someone can attach them as a PDF.

·
Registered
2003 SL500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thank you buddy. I have another used panel that was dyed to match lower interior panels. Anything I can do to save from going to the stealership. Now if I can only get WIS info..

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
22,675 Posts
The trim ring unscrews and then it comes out form behind. Look carefully between the chrome ring and the switch and you'll see a 4-prong "nut". THey make a special tool to mate with the prongs, but a couple of screwdrivers should provide enough torque to rotate the nut.

·
Registered
2003 SL500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The trim ring unscrews and then it comes out form behind. Look carefully between the chrome ring and the switch and you'll see a 4-prong "nut". THey make a special tool to mate with the prongs, but a couple of screwdrivers should provide enough torque to rotate the nut.
Thanx, sooo now for the hard questions..
Old panel air bag , new panel no air bag. Can the air bag be removed and transferred to another panel. How hard?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
22,675 Posts
I believe so. Is the airbag actually attached to the panel? I thought it was attached to the dash framing with its own bracket.

·
Registered
2003 SL500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe so. Is the airbag actually attached to the panel? I thought it was attached to the dash framing with its own bracket.
No it’s screwed to the back on the panel. Got info free m another forum and did the job. Thanks guys!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts