Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I cannot get the windshield wipers to work on my 2003 S500. No help with a scanner, but I am pretty sure I have it narrowed down to either the SAM or the steering wheel module. Anyone else had this issue or any ideas on which unit would be more likely to fail?
Thanks,
T

·
Registered
2004 (w220) S500 & (R230) SL550 2007
649 Posts
check

There are 2 relays & a fuse or two that impact the wiper system.

There is a chart in this forum search wipers in W220

·
Registered
2000 S430 156k (11/12)
507 Posts
Hey poptopclk!
Have you found a solution to your wiper problem not liking the water so much in rain sensing mode?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. The problem is not a fues or a relay. It has to be the SAM or the steering wheel module. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had to replace either one of these.
T.

·
Registered
2000 S430 156k (11/12)
507 Posts
So, you have no wiper function in any of the 4 wiper positions?
There are also 2 relays that control the vertical position of the wiper arm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no wiper function in any posisition. I have jumped power to the motor and it checks OK. It is not a relay or fuse issue. It has to be the SAM or steering wheel module, I just wanted to narrow it down to one or the other if possible.

Thanks,
T

·
Registered
2000 S430 156k (11/12)
507 Posts
Ok so, you have confirmed that all of the relays (G,H,I,J) and the fuse F5 are in working order.
This is what I think:
Since the different positions of the wiper functions at the steering column module has seperate paths to SAM and therefore your problem may lie in SAM.
I would also check for any moisture/water in the left fuse box where the relays and the SAM is.

·
Registered
2004 (w220) S500 & (R230) SL550 2007
649 Posts
I have no wiper function in any posisition. I have jumped power to the motor and it checks OK. It is not a relay or fuse issue. It has to be the SAM or steering wheel module, I just wanted to narrow it down to one or the other if possible.

Thanks,
T
I posted the WHOLE system on here via WIS.. I your case it might be the actual wiper column switch.

My symptoms are different. Mine sometimes cycles on ignition even in Position 0.. When washing sometimes dosen't park low enough.
When on Position 1 just continues to wipe as if on position 2 Low wipe speed
Ocassionaly it will work normally for a minute or two..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts