Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
2003 w220 s500
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 s500 . Where I live it has been severely cold -28 for a week now. Car was working fine untill the firSt cold night. Now it is saying in information center on dash key chip card not recognized. Bought new battery still no results. And the steering lock is free because I can turn wheel all the way left and right . Please help I do not have money to take to dealership .

W220 Moderator
W220 does not have a Steering Lock !!

Aside from Heavy Discharge testing the Battery properly the car needs to go on SDS to see why !!

What happens when you use the Key in the EIS instead of the KG Card ?
It should start and run then ;)

KG Cards are noted for going bad, and are NLA now ;)

Registered
2003 S500
One of the known W220 problems is that the EIS can develop faulty solder joints that open up in cold temperatures, causing the EIS to fail. One way to test this is to put a heater inside the car (using great caution to avoid damaging the car or setting it on fire!) and getting it warm. If it then starts, the problem is probably the EIS.

Registered
2003 w220 s500
Discussion Starter #4
W220 does not have a Steering Lock !!

Aside from Heavy Discharge testing the Battery properly the car needs to go on SDS to see why !!

What happens when you use the Key in the EIS instead of the KG Card ?
It should start and run then ;)

KG Cards are noted for going bad, and are NLA now ;)

Registered
Too many to list
Recently I am seeing people quote posts without a reply to them? Ive seen many threads recently where someone quotes a post but does not add any text of their own . Is this a forum
Glitch ?

W220 Moderator
No not to my knowledge, just another sign of the times mostly ;)

I do do it ocassionally if someone has replied but missed a relevant bit of information contained in a previous post, so I will just drop a quote of that bit of info ;)

Registered
2003 w220 s500
Discussion Starter #7
When you put key fob in the ignition it doesn't turn. It does nothing .still says key card chip not recognized

W220 Moderator
That is likely either Key, EIS or a Pre - Fuse issue.

It now needs to go on SDS to read the Drive Authorisation Data, see if EIS is actually communicating and to check that the Keys are recognised properly ;)

Registered
2003 S500
Not likely to solve the problem, but the first thing that I would try would be to get the key card far away from the car, then try the key fob.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts