Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 S500 4Matic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 S500 4matic and the brake notice went on on the dash and i want to DIY. I have several questions and hope someone can steer me correctly:

1. Is it possible tell which brake pads need replacement (front or back) without removing the wheels and doing a visual inspection? There is no squeaking or grinding from any wheel and the front pads have approx. 1/8" of pad left.

2. If its the fronts, do this car have 1 or 2 sensors? How many in the back?

3. Does anyone have easy step by step instructions on replacing the pads? I have checked other forums and none of the videos show the front caliper that looks like my front ones. They all have 2 pins but I see no 2 pins to punch out on the calipers on my car.

3. Does anyone know of any video that shows the procedure?

4. Are there any special tools I will need and, if so, which ones and for what?

Any suggestions/ideas/instructions/warnings/advice is greatly appreciated.

I am somewhat mechanically inclined and have changed pads in other vehicles but do not want to take a risk on this car unless I know exactly what I'm doing.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2003 S500 4Matic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2003 S500 4Matic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did search and related posts and my questions are still not answered. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
I have a 2003 S500 4matic and the brake notice went on on the dash and i want to DIY. I have several questions and hope someone can steer me correctly:

1. Is it possible tell which brake pads need replacement (front or back) without removing the wheels and doing a visual inspection? There is no squeaking or grinding from any wheel and the front pads have approx. 1/8" of pad left.

2. If its the fronts, do this car have 1 or 2 sensors? How many in the back?

3. Does anyone have easy step by step instructions on replacing the pads? I have checked other forums and none of the videos show the front caliper that looks like my front ones. They all have 2 pins but I see no 2 pins to punch out on the calipers on my car.

3. Does anyone know of any video that shows the procedure?

4. Are there any special tools I will need and, if so, which ones and for what?

Any suggestions/ideas/instructions/warnings/advice is greatly appreciated.

I am somewhat mechanically inclined and have changed pads in other vehicles but do not want to take a risk on this car unless I know exactly what I'm doing.

Thanks in advance
Did search and related posts and my questions are still not answered. Any help is greatly appreciated.
hard to believe you couldn't find answers, but anyway.

1. no. Its typically the inside pad that wears first on the floating rotor setups, so without pulling the wheels, you won't really know. My opinion...just do both front and rear.

2. My memory is going a bit, but I believe 2 in the front, one in the rear.

3. Stupid simple. 4matics have different calipers, hence the difference in style.

A. Raise car, support with stand, remove wheel (duh)
B. Use a screwdriver to pry off the retaining clip on the front of the caliper
C. On the back of the caliper, remove the 2 dust boots and use a torx socket I think its like a t-35 or something to remove the 2 bolts and then use a small screwdriver to slide out the two guides.
D. Wiggle the caliper up off the rotor, compress pistons (remove the brake fluid res. cap and siphon off a bit of fluid), install new pads using mb pad paste
E. Put caliper back on, grease slides, reinstall slides, tighten bolts to spec, replace dust caps, replace spring and you're done.

4. torx socket of various sizes (just get the set if you intend to work on a benz). May need a breaker bar or other larger ratchet to loosen the bolts.

·
Registered
2003 S500 4Matic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oliver, I appreciate your help. I thought it strange also that these answers weren't online. Anyway, Your instructions were right on point and extremely helpful. I followed them as stated and you're right, its stupid simple. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts