Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Fcp euro is a much better place to buy then amazon or eBay because they don’t use third party suppliers who often sell fakes using those platforms
Agreed on FCP Euro; I got all mine from them.

In addition to FCP Euro, Rock Auto also sells the genuine article, along with other brands.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hey T,
How about Auto Zone or Advance Auto or even O'Reilly's?? They have to sell genuine right?? Or even them have gone on the chinesium side??

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
Yes they sell genuine . The only places you need to be careful are places that use third party suppliers and sellers like eBay amazon , Walmart.com, Sears.com etc. On those sites it’s not the actual company buying from suppliers it’s individual third parties who ship their items and just use the website as the advertising platform.

Unfortunately the counterfeiting of goods has moved past Gucci purses and now applies to auto parts and most phone electronics (Motorola and Apple accessories ) sold on those sites.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Thanks Tusabes. I am actuslly driving to a FCP location and picking one up in person. They are about 20 min away from me and have them in stock for $27 Guess it won't hurt to change it since I own the car for about 6 years now and never done it...

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well I picked it up last night so went to see if my car had the shield protecting the CPS and it does. So can't get to the bolt with the shield in place. I will wait till I change the oil and remove the shield from underneath. Not enough room from the top...

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
@doni01, it depends on which type of shield you have. The 2000 S500 has one that's pretty easy to work around. The 2003 S430's is "fuller" and is more difficult. Both don't feel all that easy to bend.

What I did on the '03 S430 was actually remove the shield temporarily. It's two of the bolts that hold in the transmission bellhousing. Then the shield comes right out. From there, the CPS is an easy swap. I'm really not sure why they put that shield in there in the first place; surely they must've had a good reason. It looks like it'd be rather well protected from the elements and road debris, including from under the car, given its location.

·
Registered
852 Posts
@doni01, it depends on which type of shield you have. The 2000 S500 has one that's pretty easy to work around. The 2003 S430's is "fuller" and is more difficult. Both don't feel all that easy to bend.

What I did on the '03 S430 was actually remove the shield temporarily. It's two of the bolts that hold in the transmission bellhousing. Then the shield comes right out. From there, the CPS is an easy swap. I'm really not sure why they put that shield in there in the first place; surely they must've had a good reason. It looks like it'd be rather well protected from the elements and road debris, including from under the car, given its location.
T,
You stand correct. Mine also has the same have duty black bracket like your 03. There is no way I can bend that so I will be removing the two bolts that hold the belly. I don't understand why that bracket is there. It is not even a heat shield. Anyhow that will be done when I do my next oil change and will have the car up on ramps so can access the bolts from underneath. Thank you again!

·
W220 Moderator
5,650 Posts
Hi @doni01 @cowboyt

Sonny,

Sorry for mis info ;) ...............

T , cheers for pointing that out ..............

I've never seen one like that, will edit my post accordingly ;)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hi Sonny,

Sorry for mis info ;)

I've never seen one like that, will edit my post accordingly ;)
[/QUOTE
Lol you in trouble now :D
Actually you stand correct as well. From my research, there is two kind of shields. One is the flexible one and the other is a heavy duty bracket. Don't know if this is a pre vs post facelift situation. And of course mine has the heavy duty one :cry:

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Note also that you can get to those transmission bellhousing bolts from the top-side as well. That's how I did it in the parking lot. Access wasn't that bad at all.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Also note that the project 2000 S500 is a very early instance of US-market W220's. It's got only "Sport 1" for AIRmatic, the older starter motor (it has a noticeably different sound from our other W220's, more like the E320 CDI), and it had the older style, all-metal belt tensioner pulley assembly until I swapped it out earlier this year. Dad's S430 (also a 2000), by contrast has AIRmatic Sport 1 and Sport 2, the newer starter motor, and the plastic belt-tensioner pulley. His car is a somewhat later VIN #. Could it be that they were using up some older parts on the 2000 S500 (maybe some of the last W140 parts)?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
UPDATE:

SAD & EXTREMELY DEPRESSED, the reason the engine would NOT crank/turn over is because it was LOCKED up. The starter was removed, but the engine still will not turn. I had just had the passenger side lifters replaced (& paid $800). I installed new tires because it ran perfectly after picking up the car (after the lifters replacement). I drove the car 35 miles when it locked up. The oil had just been changed & was full. Do NOT know what happened? Now, considering a used engine. NOT A GOOD DAY!

Richard

·
W220 Moderator
5,650 Posts
Hi Richard,

Errrm .................

Surely there must be some recourse to the numpty who did the job in the first place, sounds like it's dropped the chain, cam sprocket, a valve or somesuch !!

I'll be betting something was left loose, or cheapo parts used !!

Take the Valve Cover off on the side that was meddled with and have a look see, if you are extremely lucky you may only need a Head one side and someone who is a decent Professional 😉

HTH,

41 - 56 of 56 Posts