Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to drive my newly purchased 03 S430 on vacation. About 200 miles from home, the car suddenly cut off after running perfectly. After the cutoff, the engine will not even turn over. Everything on the dash looks normally and there are NO codes. Again, the car was running perfectly & just cut off suddenly. I had to wait 3 hours for the rollback to tow it back home 200 miles. It was definitely not a good day! Any ideas? I do not know the car as I purchased it only a few weeks ago.

Richard

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Decided to drive my newly purchased 03 S430 on vacation. About 200 miles from home, the car suddenly cut off after running perfectly. After the cutoff, the engine will not even turn over. Everything on the dash looks normally and there are NO codes. Again, the car was running perfectly & just cut off suddenly. I had to wait 3 hours for the rollback to tow it back home 200 miles. It was definitely not a good day! Any ideas? I do not know the car as I purchased it only a few weeks ago.

Richard
Does it even crank now if you try starting it ? If not there’s a voltage or battery connection issue .

If it starts up fine now that it’s cold,
it’s your crank position sensor

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
My 2003 S430 with 155K would turn over, but would not start. It was the crankshaft position sensor.

Yours doesn't even turn over? That is weird. What's the voltage measurement from the battery?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still waiting to hear from my mechanic. He did say he did a quick scan, and there were no stored codes. Again, the engine will NOT turn over when turning the ignition key. The engine doesn't do anything. It was running/starting perfectly until it suddenly cut off while on the interstate. The mystery for me is why the engine does nothing when turning the key. I would look at it myself, but I'm out of the country until after Labor Day.

·
W220 Moderator
5,523 Posts
Hi,

The fact that it just stopped suddenly and now refuses to crank over suggests to me that it is a Pre Fuse, that would be my first port of call 😉

Also if I were you, here are 3 questions I'd be asking before racking up a bunch of Labour time that yields nothing ..............

How knowledgeable is your Mechanic around these Cars ??
What Diagnostic Machine did he use ??
Did he get communication with EIS, ME ??
Let us know what he says plz

HTH,

·
W220 Moderator
5,523 Posts
:(

So is this the future of the "new Forum software"...............

Huh, a bunch of adverts trying to sell services like "Mercedes Mechanic On Line", which from what I've read don't exactly cut the mustard ................

I for 1 am dismayed at the loss of a lot of our old features, and now the Ad's start popping up :(

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
:(

So is this the future of the "new Forum software"...............

Huh, a bunch of adverts trying to sell services like "Mercedes Mechanic On Line", which from what I've read don't exactly cut the mustard ................

I for 1 am dismayed at the loss of a lot of our old features, and now the Ad's start popping up :(
Consider using Firefox with the "NoScript" add-on. That's what I use, and to log in, you simply have to tell NoScript to allow the following Web domains.

benzworld.org
google.com
gstatic.com
googleapis.com

·
W220 Moderator
5,523 Posts
LOL, I can't even quote @tusabes or anyone else ..............

Manually entered quote :-

It needs to be a coordinated effort

And therin lies the problem 😉

Cheers ;)

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
True. In the meantime, how's the OP doing with his car? Did you get a chance to have a look at the prefuses and check 'em out?

·
W220 Moderator
5,523 Posts
Hi @Pokseva,

Normally I'd agree, but what about the fact the Engine simply cut out FIRST, then refused to crank .................. EIS or SAM Pre fuse was my train of thought ????????????

Surely worth testing all of them, on MB's stranger stuff has happened with a blown or bad connection Pre Fuse ;)

Cheers,

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just had a similar experience it wound up being the starter solenoid which is replaceable and available separate. I picked up a new Bosch solenoid from Advance auto ,they had to order it,it was around 65 dollars and I disassembled the starter while I had it out to clean it up and inspect the brushes and it looked good. Installed new solenoid and car started right up and even seemed to crank faster. Before, it would do nothing no click no dimming lights on dash, nothing. I checked all the usual suspects, then I tried supplying power direct to the solenoid terminal and nothing, that's when you know it's the solenoid cause if it were the motor it would click but not turn over. Also that eliminates all the hoops the circuit has to jump thru on the vehicle just to turn starter. Eis,connections, relay ,neutral safety device ,sams,etc,etc sometimes we have diagnosed starters by smacking them with hammer or pry bar while someone is holding key in start position. Be surprised how often they jolt back to life if only for a short time.good luck

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
11 Participants
cowboyt
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing