Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 S430 W220
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I recently purchased a 2003 S430. There was a squeak coming from the serpentine belt so I figured I would change the belt. However earlier today, while I was cleaning the engine bay, I noticed the pulley on the tensioner was at an angle and not straight. It almost seemed like it was about to pop out. I pushed it back and it was straight but had a play. Immediately after I started the car, the pulley came off. Now my question since this I'm new to Benz should I change the entire assembly or just replace the pulley? Also, the belt looks fine, no cracks but should I change this as well?
Thank you!

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,727 Posts
I would replace the whole thing along with a new idler pulley and serpentine belt. Check all the other pulleys too by spinning/tugging on them. Use only OEM parts.

·
Registered
CLK 280 Ponton 190
33 Posts
Agree with 260e cruiser. I had the idler pulley let go on my CLK, shredded the belt and wrapped itself round the crankshaft between pulley and engine block..
Change the lot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts