Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Ml55 2002
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

For the last 4 years, at night, when I open my rear door the rear interior light doesnt come on so I have to manually switch it on. A couple of times Ive forgotten to then switch it off when I close / lock the car.

Now I cant believe that Mercedes has designed it this way, and I reckon that the rear interior light should come on automatically. Ive tried the rear light switch in the different positions, nope still doesnt come automatically when opening the door.

So, can you guys confirm whether your rear doors operate the rear light automatically ? IF so where is the door switch that should operate it ?

·
Registered
Ml55 2002
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi 43, Im referring to the cargo light. Ive tried the switch in position 3 and it doesnt come on. Where is the switch or circuit point that activities the light ? Is it in the lock or some in/out switch that the door operates when opening / closing ?

Simon

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,877 Posts
Do your front dome lamps come on when you open the driver's door?

What year and model?

·
Registered
Ml55 2002
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, front doors / rear doors, all operate the dome / side lroof lights. Just the cargo area that doesnt operate automatically.

Where is the micro switch located ? Is it in the lock unit or somewhere else ? I need to check this is working / wired.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,877 Posts
One other question, when you lock the car with the key fob, do the outside mirrors and the tail lights blink 3 times?

·
Registered
Ml55 2002
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ohhh I think I see where you're going with this. Is the rear lock was a fault the alarm would bring attention to it. Unless it thinks it's shut all the time, so if I open the hatch then press the alarm, if it locks like normal and doesn't complain 5hen then fault is with lock?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,854 Posts
There is micro switch in tailgate latch.

Hook up your scanner go Body -> AAM -> Actual values and look at state of the switch. It needs to change as you open/close tailgate.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,877 Posts
Ohhh I think I see where you're going with this. Is the rear lock was a fault the alarm would bring attention to it. Unless it thinks it's shut all the time, so if I open the hatch then press the alarm, if it locks like normal and doesn't complain 5hen then fault is with lock?

Where is the word YES?

·
Registered
Ml55 2002
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All cool. Will try the diag machine tomorrow. The number of times I've forgotten to switch off my damn cargo light. Nice to have it working :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts