Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Team, so my wife's "truck" as I affectionately call it all of the sudden developed a really throaty exhaust.. sounded cool at first then started to be annoying and shaggy sounding. Much like an old truck with a hole in the muffler. I could not put my finger on exactly where it was and listened closely to where the sound seemed to be coming... could not find it - video below. I was thinking either the muffler really does have a hole in it or possible the catalytic converter is blown. So I let it cool down overnight and in the morning get under it and start feeling all around on the cat, the pipe, the muffler.. no dice. So now... time to take off the catalytic converter pipe... aha... its got a major crack on top of the rear cat where I could not see and not really feel. So working the thing out of the bottom of the truck, it literally splits super clean in half. Pics below.

So now a couple questions.... can I have it re-welded and pop it back on? What are the 'considerations' of what I would tell the guy who welds it back together to be aware of? Will it hold? Will it fit?

Also in the pics there is a 'bar'. Does that 'bar' (Red arrows) have to have the weight of the truck off of it? Can I pop that bar out easily with the truck up on a slight block? What are the bits to moving that bar out of the way temporarily so I can either a) get a new cat in - or b) get the re-welded cat back in?

I have a jack under the transmission to hold the weight while I removed the Transmission mount/holder piece. What is up with the 'bar'?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, I know the tires are toast...

What is the 'bar' called? Do I need to support the truck when I start to loosen / take it off..?

Thanks for your help and post your response / reply.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If it's the rear cat(s) that is damaged, you can remove them (both) if you like (& depending on what your state eco regulations are).
They are not monitored (hence why you are not seeing any CEL lights pop up).

Some reading for you - you can do more searches on this topic.

·
Premium Member
4,491 Posts
If you cut both side out and weld some hi flo cats back in you don’t need to remove the torsion bar. If you go with genuine the torsion bar needs to be removed I think!! A good exhaust shop will do it easily.
Don’t re weld the broken cat it won’t last long and it’s probably due for replacement anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts