Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ML 350
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to post this,but the search function(even the Google search function) did not yield any matching results. I was impatient with my ML and wanted to get to the screen that would allow me to enter my radio code. So I unplugged the negative battery cable for an hour and now the ML won't start. It just makes sounds and flashes the headlights and stuff. I imagine this is some sort of "Mode" the ML goes into, but I have no idea.

I appreciate any scorn and help or combination thereof.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
"I appreciate any scorn and help or combination thereof."

Not everything has been covered a million times... now if this were a post about your door locks popping up and down..................

·
Registered
2003 ML 350
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I think it is a problem with the battery. The whole thing started with my trying to get the WAIT signal off of the radio to allow the entrance of my newly discovered radio code, and it turned into needing a dual post jump from my trust little Altima. Could be other issues too. But I have resigned myself to buy a new battery after testing the alternator and then focus on why the radio says WAIT. It might be broken and then I might have to resign myself to pull the head unit and go aftermarket. Resignation. :-|

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
10,093 Posts
I hate to post this,but the search function(even the Google search function) did not yield any matching results. I was impatient with my ML and wanted to get to the screen that would allow me to enter my radio code. So I unplugged the negative battery cable for an hour and now the ML won't start. It just makes sounds and flashes the headlights and stuff. I imagine this is some sort of "Mode" the ML goes into, but I have no idea.

I appreciate any scorn and help or combination thereof.
Your story is missing a beginning.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
10,093 Posts
No, I think it is a problem with the battery. The whole thing started with my trying to get the WAIT signal off of the radio to allow the entrance of my newly discovered radio code, and it turned into needing a dual post jump from my trust little Altima. Could be other issues too. But I have resigned myself to buy a new battery after testing the alternator and then focus on why the radio says WAIT. It might be broken and then I might have to resign myself to pull the head unit and go aftermarket. Resignation. :-|
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1416644-useful-w163-documents-2.html#post3324923

·
Registered
2003 ML 350
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Witek, appreciate the link. The head unit is displaying WAIT at all times. Sorry about giving a beginning of the story, but I just purchased a high mile (105k) 2003ML350 last week and I was trying to unlock the radio. By the descriptions on the Useful Documents section I thought I would see a prompt to enter a code. I did not, so I turned the key to the second position to keep the radio on the engine off and waited yet nothing. So in my impatience I disconnected the neg batt cable for an hour in the hopes that any onboard system with an eprom would "forget" the lockout status. I was wrong and the radio is still in wait, and now I am jump starting the old mare to move her around. I think I need a new battery and a maybe a radio. What do you think?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
10,093 Posts
Radio did exactly same thing any ATM machine would do after few wrong PIN's.

Resolve battery/starting issue first. Do not connect jumper cables, battery chargers, connect/disconnect battery with key in ignition. It will scramble rolling code in the key.

Depending how many times wrong PIN was entered in the radio you may have to leave it in WAIT state for several consecutive hours. Connect voltage regulated battery charger, put key in, turn key to position 1 and WAIT until it displays CODE.

·
Registered
2003 ML500, 1987 Porsche 944 Turbo, 2008 Chevrolet Suburban
54 Posts
The standard for this is at least 1 hour with the key in the 2nd position, eventually the code input screen will come up. Be patient the radio is fine. I was able to call the dealer for the code. Jumping a benz can send a jolt to the system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts