Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1989 E260 2003 ML350
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have had vehicle for about 3mths, 124,000km service last week, engine oil and check levels and set up maintanence program by old independent Benz mechanic, always intention to replace sensors, parked truck all well, next morning starts runs for a few seconds and stops, can restart, runs for a few secounds then stops, etc. any help be would greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,146 Posts
Are you getting any messages in the odometer readout when this happens?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,146 Posts
I was wondering if the "Start Error" message appeared with can indicate a key problem or a drive authorization issue.
Do you have another key or the valet key you can try?

·
Registered
1989 E260 2003 ML350
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no error mesage, I'll try other key and do fuel pressure test, I have tech dropping by to read codes today, will report back, thank you gentlemen.

·
Registered
1989 E260 2003 ML350
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got spare key (which was at office), car ran a little longer before stalling, I retried main key, the same, so for two days it started and stalled immediately, now it will run roughly for about minute before stalling, any throttle pressure and it stalls, am still waiting for codes to be read.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
I got spare key (which was at office), car ran a little longer before stalling, I retried main key, the same, so for two days it started and stalled immediately, now it will run roughly for about minute before stalling, any throttle pressure and it stalls, am still waiting for codes to be read.
Insert the key into the ignition and turn the key to pos. #2 and watch the LED light. It should blink once which indicates the key has been recognized by the DAS (Drive Authorization System). Try both keys.

If neither key makes the light blink, you have problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 E260 2003 ML350
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cool, hot shot Tech let me down, will be checking pressure and be picking up a OBD2 tomorrow, hopefully have some codes to look at as well. I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1989 E260 2003 ML350
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mechanic was able to start and rev past flat spot, by revving and dropping in stages, car was able to be driven (neccesary every time on start up)
I drove to Auto Electrican who read codes for $40 - P2006 (B2/561) and P2004 (B2/
So am pricing and sourcing - any comments Gentlemen?

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
Thats weird that the MAF would run it like that. I would suggest a cleaner first, and if no change then just replace the SENSOR only.
Seeing as ur in AUS though, u might be better off as the DR ordered, go to the dealer.
Or go across the street to DR.X's place and let him run some cleaner through it. Brisbane aint that big of place is it?

·
Registered
1989 E260 2003 ML350
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it was the biggest city in the southern hemisphere once (in area) but it was a convict settlement and it shows, parts and tools are expensive, it all seems to come from Melbourne (which I imagine is a huge shed full of parts) eg in the States basic OB002 Scanner $30? here $240 - but it doesn't snow

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
mechanic was able to start and rev past flat spot, by revving and dropping in stages, car was able to be driven (neccesary every time on start up)
I drove to Auto Electrican who read codes for $40 - P2006 (B2/561) and P2004 (B2/
So am pricing and sourcing - any comments Gentlemen?
Both codes point to the MAF sensor, code P2004 is for the MAF signal itself and P2004 is for the Air Intake Temp. Sensor (which is built into the MAF.)

But if the truck was running normally before you didn't use it for six months, then I doubt if the MAF just went south on its own.

Remove the insert alone, either by using the correct socket, or simply cut a vertical line in the middle of each screw with a Dremel and then remove the screws with a flat screwdriver.

Inspect the interior sections where insects could have made webs and such and inspect the condition of the wire, which should be bright. Clean with CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner if necessary. Also inspect the air flow screen, 9/3, for same type of webs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 E260 2003 ML350
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks 43, great info, I drove the ML to the Workshop on the other side of the City (21kms) only because the old Benz mechanic worked out a start procedure for what we all suspect at present, a Busted MAF. This allowed me to drive to auto electrian and get codes read (no one wanted to visit) this morning, then to workshop tonight (the money saved on tilt tray will go to parts)
Every time to start, hot or cold - start to idle, no throttle (took a about four goes) to get oil around engine - then the brave part, stab throttle through flat spot quickly and hold at 4000rpm a minute (seems like forever) then lower revs until engine splutters - back up to 4000 and lower (each time revs will drop further before splutter) about 8 times and it was back to idle, still had major flat spot but was quite normal to drive as long as I remembered to push through it. After a few kms the MAF seems to remember it's broken and starts to deteroriate, I put into 3rd and that kept revs at 2000rpm - it seemed happy enough.
Safety no1 - I wouldn't advocate any one drive a broken car (huge flat spot) but if it is more safe to move car and your problem is same as mine, I hope the above helps.
will update on repairs - Cheers

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
The population is 2 megapeople, making it almost 10 times that of Saskatoon. Chances are we're not in the same suburb.

The ECM doesn't hesitate to cut power if it's not happy with the data feeds.That's the way I like it.
Just for my curiosity, what the hell is a Megapeople? Google doesnt like that as a real word.
Saskatoon's got a huuuuuuge population these days. Almost......300,000.;)

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,405 Posts
1 megapeople = 10E6 people. It's a metric prefix.

Fonzie1 does it stall while idling after a minute, or only when you press the throttle? Just for future self-diagnosers of "engine starts, runs, then stops"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts