Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals,

I just bought a second hand 2003 ML350. The dealer was unsure if the Navigation system will work. He said that because there is a CD Slot behind the MCS Screen, I may be able to buy the NAV MAP CD's and install them. Is this true?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ya can do some searching and reading it might help you.

so ya have the reader,..do you have the antenna on the roof at center rear as well?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I don't have a GPS Antena. Is that all I would need, besides the CD/DVD Map Discs?

Also, how do I know if my reader is CD or DVD?

Thanks,

Dan.

·
Registered
53 Posts
When you press on the NAV button, what does it say on the MCS?

if Nav is not installed, it will tell you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's exactly what it says. Navigation System Not Installed. But does that mean I have to Install the MAP Software, or am I missing hardware?

Thanks,

Dan.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, I dont have Nav sys, but reading enuff to know that you gotta have the Antenna installed, that I would do for my first step.

Ya can by on ebay...Once the antenna is in the try with the CDs...

Atlease ya have the Nav reader...

·
Registered
1994 C280 1996 C36 2002 ML500
513 Posts
What you most likely have is the cd player and not a Nav drive, so you would need the Nav drive, Nav CD/DVD and the GPS antenna if your car did not come equipped with one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there really an optional CD Player that installs behind the MCS Screen? I thought you had to get a CD Changer... But I guess it makes sence that it is just a CD Player otherwise I'm sure the previous owner would have installed the antenna and gotten the NAV working...

Thanks,

Dan.

·
Registered
2002 ML320, 2013 GL450
434 Posts
danno33 -

since you have a 2003 ML, it does have the antenna installed on the roof. It comes from the factory like that. What it is missing is the actual nav unit, which goes in the slot above the tape deck. You can buy the DVD- based nav unit (which WILL NOT play DVDs) install it yourself with guidelines from this forum by doing a search. you can buy a dvd-based nav off ebay. You'll have to get the DVD map as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
maneesh said:
danno33 -

since you have a 2003 ML, it does have the antenna installed on the roof. It comes from the factory like that. What it is missing is the actual nav unit, which goes in the slot above the tape deck. You can buy the DVD- based nav unit (which WILL NOT play DVDs) install it yourself with guidelines from this forum by doing a search. you can buy a dvd-based nav off ebay. You'll have to get the DVD map as well.
Hi Maneesh,

So I would install the DVD NAV Unit in the place of the current CD Player above the Tape Unit? Do you think the Current CD Unit is a CD NAV Unit or did all 2003 ML350's come with a simple CD Player?

Thanks,

Dan.

·
Registered
'01 ML-430/'96 C220/'05 Lexus RX330
199 Posts
Several came with just the simple CD player. 2002 and up are supposed to be pre-installed with the GPS antenna. Do you not have a plastic antenna up on the roof above the rear door for your teleaid/phone? the GPS antenna is inside this unit as well. Maybe they moved it on the 2003? Anyway, search on here for instructions with pictures - I think I posted them over and over in several threads earlier in the year after doing my own upgrade. It's simple - pull the MCS head using MB radio removal key tools (set a pillow over the shifter and it will rest on it without having to unplug anything else), take out the top cover 4 torx screws, unplug and remove the existing CD wiring plug by squeezing the metal release cable lock thing on the sides of the cable connector - squeeze hard, lift the cd player up and out of the unit - its not bolted in, drop in the DVD/Nav unit, reconnect the plug and plug in the gray antenna wire that is fastened to the wiring harness bundle not being used currently in your setup. Turn on the key and insert your Nav DVD (get a 2004.1 or newer version of you'll be sorely disappointed since pre-2004 had virtually nothing but main interstates and state highways in it), park it facing north so the antenna gets a good southern view, start the car, sit there for about 3-5 minutes for the GPS to calibrate itself, then voila. You're done.

·
Registered
2002 ML320, 2013 GL450
434 Posts
dan,

if you don't see the 6"antenna on the roof towards the back of the truck, I think you have a bigger problem. Either someone took it, or you don't have a 2003 truck. All 2002+ trucks came with the antenna.. Mine is a 2002 and it came with the GPS antenna, but no nav.. I added it myself after buying it from ebay.

The CD drive above the tape deck won't play nav discs... You will have to remove this CD drive, replace it with the nav DVD drive as rcltrh mentioned, will play CD's, Nav DVD, but not a regular DVD. If that CD-drive was a nav drive, it would've said "insert nav cd" instead of "nav not installed".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Maneesh. I'm picking up the truck from the dealer tomorrow afternoon. I'll double check for the Antenna. If it really is missing, is it expensive to get one installed?

Thanks,

Dan.

·
Registered
'08 ML320 CDI, '02 ML 320 sold @ 277,000 km
14 Posts
missing GPS antenna

Dan,
Your info does not show in what country you are located. If you are in Canada, your vehicle would not have Teleaid installed and therefore would not have a GPS/cellphone antenna, unless the previous owner had a MB cell phone installed.

Several members have opted to install an Alpine GPS antenna in their vehicle rather than buy the OEM one. Please refer to
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w16...part-number-source.html?highlight=01T85385W04

They sell for about $25. I got mine from an Alpine service centre in Toronto for C$32.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320; 08 E350 4MATIC - P1 & SPORT PKG
320 Posts
2002 ML 320 NAV install

I have a 2002 ML 320 with the antena, but no NAV. I'd like to install the NAV unit, do I need to replace the whole MCS? When I engage the Navi button on the MCS, the display indicates No Navigation is installed.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts