Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new noise inside. It sounds like air blowing from one of the vents, but it is not that simple. When I touch the brake peddle it stops.

·
W163 and General Mercedes Host
3,283 Posts
I have a new noise inside. It sounds like air blowing from one of the vents, but it is not that simple. When I touch the brake peddle it stops.
Threads galore on this - brake hiss

One example of many

===>>> Update your user CP info....

click on your icon----> click on Account Settings---->
goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
ADD your make model YEAR ----> click save

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,224 Posts
Not hugely common, but it happens often enough that there is a kit (posted earlier in the thread), a member did a seal fix and found a seal for a Volvo was a direct fit. Other people just replace the booster with a reman or new one.

·
3,283 Posts
Not hugely common, but it happens often enough that there is a kit (posted earlier in the thread), a member did a seal fix and found a seal for a Volvo was a direct fit. Other people just replace the booster with a reman or new one.
I've used the "red" Volvo seal on a BB I had pulled from a donor suv awhile back - planning to swap ours out.
I still have this ready to go should I need to. The initial "patch" repair I performed with the brake hiss was with spare bicycle tubing I had: cutting, wrapping, and zip tying it around the BB in the footwell, along the firewall. To this date, still works like a charm.
I also read about a UK member using saran wrap (plastic food wrap) and zip ties with good success.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've used the "red" Volvo seal on a BB I had pulled from a donor suv awhile back - planning to swap ours out.
I still have this ready to go should I need to. The initial "patch" repair I performed with the brake hiss was with spare bicycle tubing I had: cutting, wrapping, and zip tying it around the BB in the footwell, along the firewall. To this date, still works like a charm.
I also read about a UK member using saran wrap (plastic food wrap) and zip ties with good success.
Thank you for this information. I am going to try the bendy plastic wrap secured with zip tie temporary fix. I thought about food wrap, but wondered about securing it. I have also thought about PTFE tape as used to make joints in plumbing pipe joints. I think I will apply some PTFE tape then overlay it with a strip of bendy plastic all secured with zip ties.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the reply. I went online and viewed a video about replacing the seal with the brake booster still in place. Looked awkward, but do-able. I am going to try the temporary fix of PTFE tape around the boot at the bulkhead, plastic strip overlay, and secured in place by zip ties.

·
3,283 Posts
Thank you for this information. I am going to try the bendy plastic wrap secured with zip tie temporary fix. I thought about food wrap, but wondered about securing it. I have also thought about PTFE tape as used to make joints in plumbing pipe joints. I think I will apply some PTFE tape then overlay it with a strip of bendy plastic all secured with zip ties.
If you use this method, be mindful that you look for the area/spot where the leak comes thru. I was able to find the location by pressing my finger on various points and test/hear for any hissing, with brake pedal depression and release. It's typically along the firewall perimeter of the BB circumference.
I like the idea suggested and performed by the other member - easy to apply and wrap tightly with several winds, then zip twice. Plus, the plastic wrap, I believe, would seal the leak better.
But whatever you use, if it works and holds, then that's all that counts. :)

GL. keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,981 Posts
Really by the time you do that and try and get it to work, a little more time you could have it repaired properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,224 Posts
@khomer2 Do you have that Volvo seal part number handy. I believe my 2000 ML320 is going to need a fix soon. I have more faith in the Volvo seal than the URO parts fix.

·
3,283 Posts
@khomer2 Do you have that Volvo seal part number handy. I believe my 2000 ML320 is going to need a fix soon. I have more faith in the Volvo seal than the URO parts fix.

post#22

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you use this method, be mindful that you look for the area/spot where the leak comes thru. I was able to find the location by pressing my finger on various points and test/hear for any hissing, with brake pedal depression and release. It's typically along the firewall perimeter of the BB circumference.
I like the idea suggested and performed by the other member - easy to apply and wrap tightly with several winds, then zip twice. Plus, the plastic wrap, I believe, would seal the leak better.
But whatever you use, if it works and holds, then that's all that counts. :)

GL. keep us posted.
I will let you know you how it goes.😎

1 - 13 of 13 Posts