Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
2003 | W163 , ML320 | Engine code - M112
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone thanks for your attention!
I own an ML from 2003, and I've been having some trouble lately

The first problem is - I'm driving around 60km/h (35MPH) or sometimes even slower and suddenly I hear and feel something locking up. I've assumed the brakes are the ones to lock up. When the brake lockup happens the ESP triangle flashes until the car comes to a complete stop, it locks up when going over 10km/h (6 mph). And every time you want to go over it locks the whole thing again. I fix it by turning on LOW RANGE, sometimes this fixes the issue and sometimes I've got to restart the car. After that, the car works as usual but the BAS/ESP light turns on. When I get home and leave the car overnight the light is gone.

As I saw on youtube videos, this can be the YAW sensor. But I want to confirm that, so that's why I'm asking here

Second problem - Sometimes when I'm going downhill and not using the accelerator it stops working, the car stops accelerating and the BAS/ESP light turns on. To fix this I restart the car, sometimes the BAS/ESP light remains on and sometimes it goes off. If the car keeps moving nothing happens, but if the car slows down too much or comes to a complete stop there is a moment when the car just shuts off. And I turn it on again and it goes back to normal.

At first (I've read) that the car goes into "emergency mode" so the car acceleration was drastically reduced and It wasn't going over the 2nd gear. This happened usually after long trips (like 120 km | 75 MPH trips or more). Now that doesn't happen anymore, but this happens.

And one more thing to add up, recently. After the Acceleration thing fails, the brakes are locked up as well.
The OBD reader says it's the TPS sensor, so I need to replace it ASAP.

Third and last problem - At first I had an Intermittent SRS light, it turned on and off with movement. Now It stays completely on and the AIRBAG OFF light is on as well, I want to know first if that means my airbag and seatbelt tensioners won't work and what are the probable causes.

I read the computer with a cheap OBDII scanner, I've tried to install XENTRY into my PC but I'm not able to activate it (It's the 2017.07)

These are the codes I've got

-P0121
-P0122
-P0151
-P0221

Unfortunately, the cheap OBDII can only read ECU, powertrain, and similar codes. But not codes related to the ABS/ESP/BAS or the SRS/AIRBAG thing

If you took the time to read I'm really thankful,
I hope I can the knowledge of all the professionals here

W163 and General M Gremlin
Welcome to BW GerdirectX,

Good to have you as a new member.

Community search at the top of the page:
a few examples (of many) to read and follow on:

p0151 is your low range - is it activating and deactivating ok? You hear it engage when doing so?

Alternatives to XENTRY:
What DIY Scanner, for all w163 systems do you have and...

These may or may not be all related.
Presuming you cannot at this time, erase codes and see what codes you get?

In future though, when posting, one subject matter per thread please.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks , most of the problems are two sensor Im already replacing.

I've erased all the codes and there are only the TPS and oxigen , but hopefully Ill get a foxwell scanner so I can read most of the codes

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also I've seen no issue at all with the Low Range , when I need it I turn it on. I hear the engaging sound and everything good.

Keep us all posted on your progress. :)

Registered
2004 ml350 2009 e350
Hey everyone thanks for your attention!
I own an ML from 2003, and I've been having some trouble lately

The first problem is - I'm driving around 60km/h (35MPH) or sometimes even slower and suddenly I hear and feel something locking up. I've assumed the brakes are the ones to lock up. When the brake lockup happens the ESP triangle flashes until the car comes to a complete stop, it locks up when going over 10km/h (6 mph). And every time you want to go over it locks the whole thing again. I fix it by turning on LOW RANGE, sometimes this fixes the issue and sometimes I've got to restart the car. After that, the car works as usual but the BAS/ESP light turns on. When I get home and leave the car overnight the light is gone.

As I saw on youtube videos, this can be the YAW sensor. But I want to confirm that, so that's why I'm asking here

Second problem - Sometimes when I'm going downhill and not using the accelerator it stops working, the car stops accelerating and the BAS/ESP light turns on. To fix this I restart the car, sometimes the BAS/ESP light remains on and sometimes it goes off. If the car keeps moving nothing happens, but if the car slows down too much or comes to a complete stop there is a moment when the car just shuts off. And I turn it on again and it goes back to normal.

At first (I've read) that the car goes into "emergency mode" so the car acceleration was drastically reduced and It wasn't going over the 2nd gear. This happened usually after long trips (like 120 km | 75 MPH trips or more). Now that doesn't happen anymore, but this happens.

And one more thing to add up, recently. After the Acceleration thing fails, the brakes are locked up as well.
The OBD reader says it's the TPS sensor, so I need to replace it ASAP.

Third and last problem - At first I had an Intermittent SRS light, it turned on and off with movement. Now It stays completely on and the AIRBAG OFF light is on as well, I want to know first if that means my airbag and seatbelt tensioners won't work and what are the probable causes.

I read the computer with a cheap OBDII scanner, I've tried to install XENTRY into my PC but I'm not able to activate it (It's the 2017.07)

-P0121
-P0122
-P0151
-P0221

Unfortunately, the cheap OBDII can only read ECU, powertrain, and similar codes. But not codes related to the ABS/ESP/BAS or the SRS/AIRBAG thing

If you took the time to read I'm really thankful,
I hope I can the knowledge of all the professionals here
Sounds like the tps sensor p0121 check for short in harness or resistor in sensor is bad
Test with ohm meter to make sure it鈥檚 the harness it sensor
Good luck

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like the tps sensor p0121 check for short in harness or resistor in sensor is bad
Test with ohm meter to make sure it鈥檚 the harness it sensor
Good luck
How do I check the sensor?

Registered
Dallas, Texas

-P0121
-P0122
-P0151
-P0221
You need to get scanner that reads all control modules and displays live data. Reading faults is 1/3 of diagnostics.

In order to use Xentry you need hardware that connects to vehicle.

Read this post and entire thread.

Registered
Dallas, Texas
How do I check the sensor?
2003 ML320 has Hall effect APPS sensor. You cannot check it using ohm meter. It gets checked using volt meter or scanner.
Here are live data readouts. Engine not running. It is important that values for EA signal 1 and 2 always add to 5.0V.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Everyone!

Today, I did my first ever Scan with Xentry. After my car has faced some issues,
after scanning. This is one of the codes I recieved from the ME2-SFI (Motor Electronics)

Musical instrument Font Audio equipment Office equipment Office supplies

What had happened with the car is that sometimes it looses acceleration completely when the
accelerator Pedal is fully depressed, it usually takes just 2-3 seconds for the accelerator just to stop
responding , and all I do is restart the vehicle, and it goes back to normal.

From my reseach online (quite unclear) , I've got the conclusion that the Throttle body needs cleaning/replacement

wich is this one below

Household hardware Auto part Fashion accessory Machine Circle

In an Additional Detail - I would like to say that i've experience once or twice that sometimes
the engine randomly shuts off, and for me this kind of confirms the theory that this part is not
giving the engine the correct levels of air/gas for it to work 100% correctly.

Sometimes the accelerator feels like "lagging" , because I've experienced that I press fully for 2-3 seconds and then the car just suddenly accelerates really hard.

___

I still haven't touched anything yet, but I would like to hear your opinion on the issues I'm
currently having with my car.

Because this has reached a point that I hate driving the car
like it is
now, and I only drive it when I relaly need to. And before all of this I loved my ML , and I want
to love my ML again
. Because overall its an amazing car.

Any help or toughts will be extremely appreciated, as every bit of informations
counts! :)

Registered
Dallas, Texas
Xentry (DAS) has very nice way to save results. Hit F8 to get details, hit F11 to print to file.

This thread looks to be a continuation of your thread here:

You should continue on your previous thread until resolved.

Merging this to your previous thread.
Merged

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Xentry (DAS) has very nice way to save results. Hit F8 to get details, hit F11 to print to file.
Here's the voltage tests , and the signals are switched (On full kickdown)

Personal computer Font Audio equipment Grille Automotive design

Registered
Dallas, Texas
Here's the voltage tests , and the signals are switched (On full kickdown)
Let's take a look at voltage at throttle valve actuator. M16/6.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts