Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1972 280CE
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may be a daft question, but I do a lot of the work on my other cars and I'm quite familiar with MB's but from a prior generation.

The newest car that I have ever owned was a W210 97 E420 which I owned for 6 years until I got the urge to buy a W126 a couple of years ago.

I'm now at a point where I want something modern again as a daily driver and I'm considering a local 03 E55 which has about 90k miles on it.

As it's the first year for the W211 and the E55, I'd like to know what the high dollar items are and the common failure points and of course if they are DIY friendly. I have good parts connections but I'd hate to pay someone $120/hr when I can do the job myself.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Not w/o SDS in hand...you Really need that to work on these cars and get things Done properly.

Oil changes and re-setting FSS are do-able through the cluster, but a generic OBDII reader/code cleared won't get you into the items you Really need to access.

Come up here dude, 95/hour instead;-)

Jono

·
Premium Member
1972 280CE
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jono, If I was in Atlanta, I'd love to come and visit, but it's a long drive from Dallas, TX.
I'm bouncing ideas right now. If I buy one, i'll have to sell the 6.9, 500SLC, 560SEL and possibly the Euro 560SEC. That's a lot of toys to give up :(

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
eh, I hear ya dude... plus, I'd stick to the 2004 and later, first year models...ehhhh..

I've made the drive from Dallas a couple of times, it's not all that bad, @ least not in the right car;-)

Hope yer well dude!
jono

·
Registered
'03 Z4, '02 E55, '11 ML350
710 Posts
My advice would be to look for a low mileage '06 E55. Negotiate the best extended warranty you can.

Just my $0.02. Good luck with your search.:thumbsup:

Mike K.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts