Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I understand all W211's come with either the 2 or 4 microphone rear view interior mirror, whether they are connected or enabled or not is a different story. I have a Harman Kardon system and I have been looking into the system to arm the installer with as much information as I can but I cannot figure out where they terminate. The literature on the Audio Gateway (AGW) is also sparing and I am sure that will answer most of my other questions. Can anyone help me figure out what needs needs to be configure/reconfigured to enable the microphones to work?

If it helps, I have a Command Headunit remove from my brothers CLS, I have a 6-CD Changer, I do not have Voice Control, and I never had a OEM phone installed. I have tried to install a Dension 500 with BT1500 but I cannot get the microphones to work with that either. I did get the unit pair with

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Because of the way the car is wired, the mics are hardwired into the trunk and do not travel on the MOST fiber optic bus. The original factory kit was really designed for an old school phone to be hardwire clipped into a cradle, and the car was wired as such. All modern systems do not have this box in the trunk, amp in the trunk, switch in the trunk, cradle and adapter in the armrest installation. Instead they have one unit (like the one you mentioned) that installs near the radio. Therefore the mic wiring to the trunk is not used. In addition, our units are tuned to newer, much higher quality mics (the Dension do not have this and so this does not apply - but was included here for the general reader). Hooking into that mic wiring would not produce the quality sound desired (the factory mics are not great quality). Therefore, all aftermarket kits would include a mic that needs to be installed (even in the mirror at the factory location if desired).

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This would explain the MIC adapter in the BT1500 although I still believe there is a way to use the existing mic I will use that one for the time being. Since I ordered additional Fiber wires and connectors from the Dealership, I might as well make use of the configuration I have for a test run. Thanks for your input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts