Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure everyone's sick and tired hearing about W211's with electrical problems but any help would be much appreciated.

For a couple of weeks now I've had this problem:

After approx. 40 mins driving battery low 'visit dealer' flashes up
A few mins later engine management light illuminates
A few mins later this light flashes, all power is lost and the vehicle eventually cuts out
Once pulled over it will start again (may stall a couple of times), but is then generally good for another 40 mins or so when the same happens again.

The stealer changed the battery control module last week, which did nothing (was charged £700 for this but caused a stir so got a refund) and now they don't know what it is.

Most likely alternator/regulator? Or just a dodgy connection somewhere?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've now had the alternator and regulator replaced and it's still doing the same thing and cutting out after 40 mins or so (which is usually 4 times a day with my mileage- not v.safe). Not really sure where else to go- it's been in three main delaers and one independent, and with these bits and the battery control module replaced I don't know where to turn...i'll have to trade her in if I can't sort this soon :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has yes- they said the voltage was slightly low. But the MB garage (the first one I took it to) said that this wouldn't be enough to cause the car to stall. Having said that- they are clearly pretty useless!

Also, the car has an LPG conversion fitted. I originally didn't suspect this at all but I turned the system off yesterday and the car drove for an hour and a half and didn't cut out (the screen on the audio unit was starting to flicker but no stalling).

I suppose with the extra drain of the LPG system may be a low aux battery would be enough to cause a loss of power?

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,117 Posts
IMO if an aux battery shows any signs of being weak it is due for a change. It may very well
be the fix. Your notes on the LPG could factor in, but I have read that the LPG conversion
is very reliable and not offered many problems to the thousands that have done it.

I am guessing you are in the UK, and the price of the aux battery at the dealer is a rape.
Call some specialty battery shops, I am sure you can find a compatible AGM sealed
battery at very nice price. Ask the battery shop to put it on the charger at 2 amps
for at least 3-4 hours before getting it so that it is fully charged and ready to go. They
last longer that way and will be at the proper voltage for the car's system. If it is
right off the shelf and down to 12v or less it needs to charged. Your car will thank you
for putting a fully charged aux battery in. The charging system in the car is not really
designed to fully charge a battery, just maintain at the correct voltage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts