Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2003 E320 Sport
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 2003 w211 e320 sport and I am thinking about doing some performance upgrades to it but I'm not sure where to start. So what I am asking is if you all can give me some suggestions where to start. Please be specific since I'm new to this idea and quite frankly I'm completely ignorant when it comes to stuff like this. Thanks for all of your help and I look forward to hearing from all of you soon.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,983 Posts
To really make it as quick as a V8 W211 you will spend more than the trade up difference
to get into a E500 sport by putting any real quality power adders and handling packages.
If you want to spend about 5-7k to get what an E500 sport already has then that is a
decision only you can make.

·
Registered
2003 E320 Sport
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To really make it as quick as a V8 W211 you will spend more than the trade up difference
to get into a E500 sport by putting any real quality power adders and handling packages.
If you want to spend about 5-7k to get what an E500 sport already has then that is a
decision only you can make.
Yeah I get that. Actually in a couple of years I'm going to hand this car off to my son and get an AMG e55 or e63 but in the meantime I'm just trying to find somethings to do mainly as a hobby type of thing to do. I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
11 Mustang Convert,.87 El Camino,09 Avalon Limited,05 GMC Sierra Denali, hunting AMG car.
224 Posts
Been a hotrodder for most of my 64 years;mainly on GM V8s,with moderate success.Also have owned 03 E320 since new;and as far as souping it up goes,it AIN'T economically feasible.Luck.

·
Registered
mercedes w211 e350, B200 w245, w212 e63 amg 6.2L
1,010 Posts
ok dude, im 18 and own a e350 and dont listen to people about getting a v8.
I suggest you contact brabus or Kleemann up both great performance companys for Mercedes,
You will get an ecu upgrade from kleemann 20bhp
Headers: 25bhp
Camshaft, 25bhp.
You can get that package for around 5000euro's + you need to find a place to install it.
You will notice the difference by a fair bit.
Performance mods for mercedes dont come cheap but are worth it.
I've moded my 2007e350 up a fair bit.
You can also get a supercharger from brabus or kleemann but it doesnt come cheap.
If you have anymore questions about increasing your car performance just give me a PM.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Ecu upgrade will get rid of the lag and give your a smoother drive, and you will notice the power kicking in more.
It will also give you car better fuel consumption.
Headers will also give you a lil bit of fuel consumption, But more of performance and allows your engine to breathe freely.
1. You'll get up to 15% better fuel economy.
2. You'll get increased performance.
3. You'll get more torque.
4. You'll get a cooler and cleaner running engine.
5. Your Auto transmission will run cooler.
Anyways now you get a rough idea.
Camshaft will do a fair bit to you car too.
But the mod which will do the most is the kleemann supercharger.
But even with that you would need to get headers and ecu to make your car run to the superchargers potential.

·
Registered
2009 E63
557 Posts
Been a hotrodder for most of my 64 years;mainly on GM V8s,with moderate success.Also have owned 03 E320 since new;and as far as souping it up goes,it AIN'T economically feasible.Luck.
+1

For the gains you'll get out of a NA 6 cylinder motor, it's not worth it. The bang for the buck just isn't there. Wait until you get the 55 or 63. Although the NA 6.2 motor will kinda be the same story. Bolt-ons (headers, e.g.) with the NA motors will give you some increase over anything else. But an expensive ECU remap is just not worth the minor gains. Save all that for the SC 5.5 motor (or if you want to get a new car, wait for the E63 with the TT 5.5.)

There's no point in sinking money in a 2003 E320. The money you spend is much better spent starting at a much higher baseline to begin with. And besides the motor in the AMG, you'll get the AMG tuned suspension, brakes, tranny, Nappa leather, alcantara, bolstered seats, etc., etc..

You'll just end up spending the money that could have bought you a 55/63 in the first place. It makes no sense.

But if you need to have fun, just go with headers and exhaust. At least you'll get to hear something :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
22,983 Posts
ok dude, im 18 and own a e350 and dont listen to people about getting a v8.
I suggest you contact brabus or Kleemann up both great performance companys for Mercedes,
You will get an ecu upgrade from kleemann 20bhp
Headers: 25bhp
Camshaft, 25bhp.
You can get that package for around 5000euro's + you need to find a place to install it.
You will notice the difference by a fair bit.
Performance mods for mercedes dont come cheap but are worth it.
I've moded my 2007e350 up a fair bit.
You can also get a supercharger from brabus or kleemann but it doesnt come cheap.
If you have anymore questions about increasing your car performance just give me a PM.
You know I love your passion for the W211 performance. I was just pointing
out the economics of it. In his case based on the fact that he is getting out
of the car relatively soon he can save the money and get an E55 or even an
E63 as he mentioned.
Now be honest, what would you rather have a E63 or a modded E350?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
You know I love your passion for the W211 performance. I was just pointing
out the economics of it. In his case based on the fact that he is getting out
of the car relatively soon he can save the money and get an E55 or even an
E63 as he mentioned.
Now be honest, what would you rather have a E63 or a modded E350?
good ol noodle's :D
I've said this many times, I've moded up my e350 because in australia untill you go on your full drivers license (3 years) you cant drive a v8,
So untill that 3 years i would rather a modded up e350, But as soon as i get my full license i would get the e55 or e63 amg no matter what love those cars and there performance :)
But you should see where im getting at too.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
couldnt finish off my post noodle's haha,
A stock v8 goes alot harder then a stock v6 thats true.
But like Bthomson1970 said he wants to do it as a hobby, Thats same as me i love modifying as a hobby and you know that as well lol.
But its true when you modify a car up you wont get that money back if you trade it in or sell it.
You do it as a hobby and i think thats what Bthomson1970 wants to do.
Unless he sells the car in a private sale and a car enthusiast wants to buy it he will not get that extra money.
But you need to look at what he said too.
Yeah I get that. Actually in a couple of years I'm going to hand this car off to my son and get an AMG e55 or e63 but in the meantime I'm just trying to find somethings to do mainly as a hobby type of thing to do. I appreciate your input.
He will give it to his son :), So all the performance mods he does will be worth it dont you think? It will give him self satisfaction :p.
People ask me why i modify everything, For self happiness and self satisfaction bro.

·
Super Moderator
22,983 Posts
I understand where you are coming from. I don't think he was aware of the vast amounts
of cash needed to get just even 30-45hp. I know the car is is going to his son and the point
is well taken that they will not be done then gone with no long term satisfaction from using them.
It will still be in the family. I plan to put my daughter in a 7-8 year old MB when she starts
driving in 2.5 years.
If the OP wants to put the headers, exhaust and ECU mod I can see going that far, but
the rest is just too pricey here. That list you posted is worth about $4000-5000 more
than total car value. The Kleeman blower install here is almost $11,000. The rest would add up
to an easy $7000 or more.
As a hobbyist I do get it. I sank $45k into a $35k car to race it and keep it street legal.
Value 8 years later with 38,000 miles is $15k on a good day. So as a parent with all
the extra expense of kids getting into their mid teens and college tuition costs looming
at over $35,000 a year I could not justify putting much into a 8 model year old E320.
They were and are great driving cars right from the factory in sport trim.
Then again keep in mind now that the economy is really bad here and I am losing money
every month so my perspective is going to be very conservative on what to spend.
Some people are still doing well so if they can justify the cost then by all means go for it.

·
Registered
2009 E63
557 Posts
Aside from Faizano's case (which is a totally different issue because of his age restriction with owning/driving certain cars), it's not about resale, but about modding something that arguably isn't really worth modding in the first place.

The 320/350 are soccer mom grocery getters (at least here where I live.) They are great cars for basic transport with comfort, etc.. But besides the motor, they aren't even cars that have the proper suspension geometry for real handling. A BMW E36/46/90 (with its own small NA straight six) is a lot more fun to drive because of its excellent suspension and steering, and much better weight distribution (or an E39/60 if you want a larger sedan.)

If you mod a car for the street but also the track (as in Noodles' case) that's different because you are actually using it on the track at HPDE/AX events, etc.. But the E Class is hardly a car you'd want to invest in as a potential track car. Just the steering and body roll alone precludes it from having any real competitive fun on the track.

imho, you don't take a pair of leather Ferragamo street shoes and try to turn them into a pair of running shoes for the New York marathon. Sure, you could wear leather evening shoes while playing basketball, but why?

Anyway, if the V6 E Class base cars were easy and cheap to mod like a Vtec JDM Honda or a Toyota Mark IV Supra, then sure why not. But they're not. It's very expensive considering the power per dollar ratio. You're starting out with something that just isn't worth it.

Just wait until you get the SC motor of the 55 or the new 5.5 TTs. Or get a NA 6.2 and enjoy it. Otherwise I'd even suggest a different brand altogether. There are lots of other cars out there that make for much, much better projects.

·
Super Moderator
22,983 Posts
Very well stated. I love my E500 V8 but rarely flog the car. It does not behave the way
I want a sports car to behave. It is quick in a straight line and the brakes are stout.
The handling of the wagon is an enigma. I have more weight in the back so it is different
than the sedans, more so that one would expect. It has more under steer (tight, push up
front for you NASCAR fans) and then at the limit it snaps to over steer (loose, stepping out
for you NASCAR fans).
I have driven the sport sedans and the AMGs. Even a new E63. Still not nearly the grip
one would hope for in real sporting machine. Amazing power and impressive driving
dynamics and would love one in the garage, but not on my budget.
I see very wealthy people bring cars to track events like an E63 and drive
them pretty well. They get hosed off by a well prepped ricer or GTi.

And I am teasing all the NASCAR fans. If they race anything with an engine I will watch it
or even drive it.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yeah all 3 of us have a point here.
And i do know where you are getting at.
But yeah modifying a car can be expensive and modifying a mercedes can be very expensive.
But i dont believe what 6.2AMG said, **but about modding something that arguably isn't really worth modding in the first place.**
I dont believe that because different people different opinion, You might not like to mod it up and not think its worth it, but he might or i might. Pretty much anything is worth modding up or addin lil tweaks to it the way YOU want it.
But if you modify a car its not necessarily mean you want to race it or want it to go hard like a racecar, because the best option there would be is to save up money and buy a sports car like the AMG.
It just means you want the car to be the way you like it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts