Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a member of the r129 and w126 forums and this is my first time posting here. I have been offered a clk 500 from a friend in miami. the vehicle is a 2003 model with 70000 miles for $16000. even after shipping the car back to the uk it is still a cheap car in comparison to our prices over here. is $16000 a cheap price in the usa market for this vehicle? also is there a way to find out if the car has had any damage or insurance claims and if there is any finance outstanding on the vehicle? any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm just gonna guess that nobody owns a clk500 on here, and nobody knows if the car i'm about to buy is good value, and nobody knows how to check in the usa if a car has outstanding finance or has been crashed.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Nothing to do with your question, but why would you want to bring a LHD car to the UK? Just wondering....

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing to do with your question, but why would you want to bring a LHD car to the UK? Just wondering....
Because it sounds cheap to me. because i'm used to left hand drive cars. because i own left hand drive cars as well as right hand drives, and because i am based between the uk, france, lebanon and saudi arabia, so the car will end up probably going to my house in beirut. And even if i never ship the car to lebanon and just use it in london when the time comes to sell it on i will get much more for it being a lhd in the uk then i could ever get from a rhd car. long gone are the days when lhd cars were worth half as much as a uk rhd car. with europe opening up so much there are so many people after lhd cars to take back home and that has made lhd cars worth more than rhd. check it out for yourself. look at the prices on ebay for example. when i sold my ferrari f355 spider uk registered but lhd car i had people calling me for it from all over europe. finally a swedish guy flew in paid for it and drove it back. I have a ferrari 360 spider now in rhd for sale and i'm struggling to sell it, so i've decided to keep it instead of losing thousands on it. hope this answers your question.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Sure - you covered the points very well.

Without checking it out, I am very surprised at what you have stated about the values of LHD vehicles. After all, they are more dangerous to drive as the driver has restricted vision when overtaking, etc.

In fact, I am quite surprised that the UK govt has not followed the line of the Australian govt and banned the 'permanent' ownership all all LHD cars in the UK - excluding vintage models. That is apart from tourism, of course.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts