Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
My 2003 600 goes up to just over 100 degrees (C) 212 (F) whilst driving in the city. So much so that the "coolant warning - visit workshop" comes on. I do not think my electric radiator cooling fan is working, I can't here anything and if I stop and turn the ignition on with the very hot motor - no fan starts.
These cars as extremely rare in New Zealand - so any help for my indy MB guy would be appreciated. Is there a fuse or relay to look at first? How can we fix this? .......... Eddy (kiwi)

Normal temp (80 C ) on open road.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You probably just need to top off with coolant. If she comes right back to 80 when driving highway, just probably are low on coolant. The level does matter on these cars.
Although I have to say that the car runs a little hot.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Have MBZ do a Star diagnostic

It will most likely be the aux water pump for the inter cooler. They go bad all the time. If you have the code AIR CHARGE TEMP HIGH its the pump cheap and easy to fix. Got one on Ebay for 125.00 including shipping. Was so easy. I went to the dealer and got the part number off the new one they were trying to sell me and I went and saved myself about 600.00

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will most likely be the aux water pump for the inter cooler. They go bad all the time. If you have the code AIR CHARGE TEMP HIGH its the pump cheap and easy to fix. Got one on Ebay for 125.00 including shipping. Was so easy. I went to the dealer and got the part number off the new one they were trying to sell me and I went and saved myself about 600.00
Thanks for the input - but it is a cooling fan problem, to be precise it is the 'module' that tells it to turn on and off. You cannot buy this seperately and must buy the fan, shroud and module as one ($2,500NZ .. $2,100US), I am getting it taken out and then an electrical genius in the family with have a look through the circuitry and try and repair it. Haven;t seen this module yet so don't know if yoyu can get into it. Has anyone done this before?

·
Registered
288 Posts
If its the fan assembly/shroud then I would buy a used one from someone who is parting one from Ebay. They are cheap enough and it can be mailed to you via US mail. I'm sorry you didnt explain to that the fan wasnt cutting on, you just said it was over heating

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
SF

There is a fuse chart for your car here on this W215 forum.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w215...lay-chart.html

However you will not find a fuse for the Electric suction fan, engine and a/c with integrated control (M4/7) there, as it is in pre-fusebox X4/10 as fuse f3 (150A). Details are here.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w215...-revealed.html

I note that you are aware that there is a control module supplied as part of the fan assembly, which might be faulty. But check the fuse first.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If its the fan assembly/shroud then I would buy a used one from someone who is parting one from Ebay. They are cheap enough and it can be mailed to you via US mail. I'm sorry you didnt explain to that the fan wasnt cutting on, you just said it was over heating
Thanks - I have never used E Bay before and would be unsure of what to buy. I understand that this 'module' is part of the fan shroud assembly (built-in). is that correct? I also understand that you cannot buy these seperating from MB.
If someone could be bothered looking for the correct part for my CL 600 2003 and send me a link to the site - that would be really appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SF

There is a fuse chart for your car here on this W215 forum.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w215...lay-chart.html

However you will not find a fuse for the Electric suction fan, engine and a/c with integrated control (M4/7) there, as it is in pre-fusebox X4/10 as fuse f3 (150A). Details are here.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w215...-revealed.html

I note that you are aware that there is a control module supplied as part of the fan assembly, which might be faulty. But check the fuse first.
My computer will not let me open either link to the fuse charts for some reason.
Any chance of 'copy and paste' and sending to [email protected] ????

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just thought I would let everyone know what It have done in regard to the engine cooling fan not coming on in my CL600 TT,
We have removed the fan shroud unit, removed the circuit board (had to cut the top of the plastic housing to do this)- so far three blown transistors and the 'coating' missing off some capacitors, must have got hot! Will attempt repair and refit will new home made lid.
We want to know what the input signals are to the unit and why it has four lugs or contacts on the plug in?
Any help appreciated - will let you know how we get on as I am trying to save $3,000NZ (2,800US) in parts and repair cost.

PS - thank you to the Canadian member for the disc you sent with wiring diagrams - I have sent this on to my electrcal expert.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2003 CL600, I want to also fix the Auxiliary Fan Control Unit.

-Star follower, were you able to fix this control unit for your fan ?

Has anyone else been able to fix this or get the part alone ?

thanks

·
Registered
566 Posts
unfortunately, unless you want to go the method of manually combing over the electronics inside of the fan control unit, you must buy the whole fan shroud/controller assembly as one piece

02 and newer years have the control module embedded into the fan shroud, no way around it

the cheapest i was able to find mine online was for about 630 USD. it sucks because all that happened to the fan was it had taken a fall flat on itself from being stood upright against the tire when i was changing my engine. 630 dollar mistake

on that note, i have my old (non functional) fan for anybody who might want to buy it for really cheap and fix it and sell it

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes - you are 100% correct, you cannot buy the fan control unit by itself. I could not repair mine despite a valiant effort. Priced one from an independent supplier, it was half the price MB quoted me, told MB the quoted price and they said they could match it - just saves $1400NZ ($1200US).
I'm afraid you will have to buy the whole shroud as well - all built in.
Labour was not too bad, through had to remove the radiator, which gave a good opportunity to renew water and antifreeze.
Sorry I cannot be of any more help to you CL600TT ....... Eddy (I share your addiction)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts