Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
CLK 430 vert
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My wife's CLK 430 vert came with a cassette(what a JOKE!) and the dealer told her that they'd install a changer at their cost ($800 + dollars) HOW GENEROUS<sarcastic> Another JOKE! What's the deal with this? I would think a Benz of ANY KIND would come standard with a CD player AT LEAST. This is ridiculous! When she told me what the dealer had said to her about it, I thought to myself "They just made heaps of money from us on this car and they're going to jack us around with something as stupid as this!" Nice way to get word of mouth advertising! Anyone got some advice on how to stay the hell away from the dealer and NOT make them RICHER?

Steve

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
MB cd changer

You can buy the MB-Alpine changer at www.autoclass.net for $400. There are a couple of other on-line sites, but they are a little more expensive. You should also be able to find some listed on ebay. The other possible alternatives are using an FM modulator to connect a changer or replacing the headunit and losing the use of the steering wheel buttons and integrated phone, if you have a phone. If you have COMAND, you can use the AUX input.

My dealer wanted $1200 for the changer. Note: it takes less than 15 minutes for a pro installer to install in a C230 coupe. Should be about the same for a CLK.

·
Registered
CLK 430 vert
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi all,
Thank you Lynn for the info.......do I need to buy the installation kit as well...

Hi all,
Thank you Lynn for the info.......do I need to buy the installation kit as well? I am pretty good with cars and have a very close friend who used to do stereo installs as a business on Mini-trucks for shows, mags, etc. I think I could figure out the install. I can't believe these cars DON'T come standard with one. How much did I just drop again? Damn!

Steve

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Installation

Steve, I think the installation kit for your 208 includes the mounting brackets and a carpet-like case for the changer. There may be other items. The guys on the W208 forum can give you more information, as can Autoclass. The power wires and fiber optics cables should be located somewhere near where the changer mounts in the trunk. Again, your fellow 208 owners will know more than I.

·
Registered
CLK 430 Convertible
2 Posts
CLK 430 CD Changer

Hi,
We also have a 430 rag top and I am in the process of getting an OEM changer. I plan to do the installation myself and if anyone has some helpful hints or instructions I'd surely appreciate it. I've also heard from the Benz technical guys in North Jersey that I can't do it myself because the dealer MUST program it. I think this is a lot of bull because when I spoke to a different technical guy he said its a plug and play but backtracked when I told him what the other tech guy said earlier in the day. If anyone has first hand experience let me know. The unit I'm getting is from Lafeyette Radio and the salesman, Larry, assured me that he has put these in in 15 minutes with no problems. Thanks

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
The headunit and cd changer for your car are the same as the ones for the C class. The ...

The headunit and cd changer for your car are the same as the ones for the C class. The changer will have to be programmed at some point, but usually not immediately. If it is not programmed, fault codes will build up until the changer stops working. Usually this takes from weeks to months, but a few people report the changer stopped within minutes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts