Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2003 C32 AMG no power from Starter relay to solenoid

5K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  SocalSam 
#1 ·
Car: C32 AMG

Symptoms: Starter would not turnover or the solenoid would not engage.

Diagnosis: I checked all the voltage and found out the wire going from Starter relay on passenger side engine compartment to the Starter solenoid isn't sending voltage when key is turned to start position. It's completely dead. I gave 12-volts to the solenoid directly while turning the key to start position and the car fired right up.

Does anyone have wiring diagram of the wire going from starter relay to the starter? Is it a straight wire or is it going through another circuit or switch? I could not trace the wire since it seems to be going under the supercharger.

- I checked for short and there is no short.
- I checked for continuity from point between relay terminal to the starter solenoid and I am getting no continuity which tells me either the wire has a break or there is another circuit or switch between starter relay and starter that is open.

The only diagram I could find was a C320 which shows it's just a straight wire going from relay to the starter.

Any ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·

Diagnosis: I checked all the voltage and found out the wire going from Starter relay on passenger side engine compartment to the Starter solenoid isn't sending voltage when key is turned to start position. It's completely dead. I gave 12-volts to the solenoid directly while turning the key to start position and the car fired right up.

Does anyone have wiring diagram of the wire going from starter relay to the starter? Is it a straight wire or is it going through another circuit or switch? I could not trace the wire since it seems to be going under the supercharger.

• I checked for short and there is no short.
  • I checked for continuity from point between relay terminal to the starter solenoid and I am getting no continuity which tells me either the wire has a break or there is another circuit or switch between starter relay and starter that is open.

The only diagram I could find was a C320 which shows it's just a straight wire going from relay to the starter.

Any ideas?
Did you ever find resolution to this issue? I am having similar issues.

#5 ·
Did you ever find resolution to this issue? I am having similar issues.
Did anyone figure out what the problem turned out to be? My C32 is having the same thing happening. I changed the starter, but that did nothing. I have a new starter relay on order…fuse is not blown. I’m thinking if I can’t get a resolution that makes sense that I may have to wire in a start button to bypass the relay. it seems illogical that something just happened when the car was parked for months and ran fine when I stored it. thanks …maybe this reply will resurrect this thread

#3 ·
Starter motor black wire goes straight to battery positive terminal.
Violet wire comes straight from the starter relay and should have power when trying to start. If not ,check and or replace the starter relay ,,
I f no power to starter relay check and or replace front pre fuse 4 200amp.
Other possible faults can be the gear shifter or the ignition switch.

#4 ·

• I checked for short and there is no short.
  • I checked for continuity from point between relay terminal to the starter solenoid and I am getting no continuity which tells me either the wire has a break or there is another circuit or switch between starter relay and starter that is open.

Any ideas?
Could be the alarm located inside rt ft fender well. That was my problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.