Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've replaced a multi-switch (turn signals, wipers, etc.) and faded LCD in the instrument cluster according to reliable instructions. However, the car is not starting anymore, it looks like some security system blocked ignition switch, I cannot turn the key. I tried to disconnect the battery and wait; it didn't solve the problem. Can it be reactivated with some professional scanner or another tool? Any other ways to undead the car?

Thanks in advance,
Igor

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
Make sure the battery voltage is adequate- ideally 12.6v. Even though interior lights and accessories work, if the ignition switch detects low voltage, it will refuse to accept the key.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When you put the key in does the column unlock? Do the doors lock and unlock from the remote? Did you try another key? The first thing I would do after checking the battery is to bring the key to a locksmith and have them check the key. They will tell you if it's communicating and working correctly. My locksmith did this for free. My car would do nothing when the key was inserted. Turned out to be a bad key. A locksmith also has the ability to check the key switch module and program a key to the car. It cost me $400 for getting my old key repaired, a new key and programing the new key to the car.

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
A locksmith also has the ability to check the key switch module and program a key to the car. It cost me $400 for getting my old key repaired, a new key and programing the new key to the car.
I have never heard of a locksmith that can program MBZ SmartKeys. There are "ways" to do this, but they are so intrusive and the equipment is so expensive, no one bothers because its no less costly than just ordering a new key from a dealer. FOr a non-KeylessGo car, they cost about $250 and come pre-programmed from the factory and will work right out of the box, but most dealers still charge an hour of "shop time" to "verify" the functionality. So figure about $350 for a new key. Broken keys can sometimes be repaired if you can solder tiny circuits, assuming the problem is a short in the coil wire.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know where you live but in NJ there's a locksmith that will come to your house. In the van, a big van, is a work shop. He repaired my key under a microscope by soldering the little coil back in place. He then got out of the van with laptop and a hand-held device. When he was done I had two working keys and a car that started. It took him about an hour or so to complete the whole job.He charged me $400. The local Mercedes stealership quoted me $450 to buy a key. As with most stealerships he said it was $200 to program the key and $250 for the key. What do you think it would have cost if I had the car towed to the dealer? $1000.

·
19,447 Posts
The last key I bought from the dealer (for a MY2010 ML350, without KeylessGo) was just over $300. That was not quite two years ago. The key was $200 and they charge an hour of shop time to "program" it, which basically meant they put the key in the ignition, verified that it started, and then ran the car through their car wash.

I know there are way to read the key codes from the EIS, and way to program one of them into a key, or ways to take a used key and program its code into the EIS's EEPROM. But the tools that do this are very expensive. A locksmith would need to do hundreds of these for hundreds of dollars each to make a profit. So I guess this guy does. Kudos to him.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The tools.are not that expensive anymore. The Mercedes stuff is very expensive but clone systems exist that are in the hundreds of dollars, not thousands of dollars. Even the blank keys are pretty cheap so they can make a good profit servicing these cars. Dealers in NJ charge over $200 an hour so that's why it's so expensive for a key from a dealer.

·
19,447 Posts
if you mean SDS clones costing hundreds of dollars, yes, that is correct, but SDS won't help you program a used or "blank" key. To do that requires some very specialized 3rd party tools that are really themselves hacked Chinese stuff, but still expensive. I looked into what it would take to do this and it was well over $2000. And then you still end up paying $100-$200 for blank Chinese keys depending on quantity. Unless you are going to be making hundred of keys a month, it;s just not worth it. And like I said, it's why the "key guys" who do this charge almost as much as the dealer. Honestly, unless you are going to save me over $100 on a key, I'll just get a genuine one from a dealer.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,981 Posts
The tools.are not that expensive anymore. The Mercedes stuff is very expensive but clone systems exist that are in the hundreds of dollars, not thousands of dollars. Even the blank keys are pretty cheap so they can make a good profit servicing these cars. Dealers in NJ charge over $200 an hour so that's why it's so expensive for a key from a dealer.
Lol, I'd love to see that. Show me a clone SDS making a key and I'll junk all of my equipments.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts