Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a 2003 C230 coupe with 120K miles on it from a very trusted source. The car runs fine when cold, but misfires when reaching normal operating temperatures and the check engine light comes on. I brought it back to the shop I bought from and we discovered that the # 2 coil well was full with fluid and #1 had some in it as well. There was no oil residue or antifreeze "feel" or smell to it; felt like water. We thought that maybe someone had washed the engine, hence the water presence. We vacuumed it out and allowed everything to dry thoroughly before putting it back together. Following that, we ran the car for about 45 minutes and then drove it home for less than 10 miles and parked it. Yesterday, I drove the car and within 30 minutes it started misfiring, check engine light came on and #1 is full with fluid again!!!!!!!!!!!!I am stumped. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,441 Posts
Assuming this isn't oil, there are only two sources of water in your car - coolant and windshield washer fluid. If it's not that, then it must be rain water. Maybe your cowl drains are clogged?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming this isn't oil, there are only two sources of water in your car - coolant and windshield washer fluid. If it's not that, then it must be rain water. Maybe your cowl drains are clogged?
Rodney, thank you for your reply however, even if the cowl drains were clogged how does the water get into the coil compartment?
Anyway, in talking with a SM of a local MB dealer, it appears that Mercedes has had this issue for a while, the aluminum head being too porous and antifreeze seeping into the coil wells or worse. There are couple of remedies,but the true one is a head replacement. This should had been a recall, but...........

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,441 Posts
The clogged drains was just a thought - if water can't drain where it's supposed to, then it will "find places" to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts