Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2003 C230 Kompressor Sedan that just went out of warranty/service and instead of giving the dealer $400 for B-service, I'd rather do the work myself. Before I get started I have a few questions:

1. How much Mobile 0-40 oil will I need?
> 5.5 Quarts

2. Should I use an oil extractor or can I drain the oil using the oil plug?
> Palm Beach Dealer still uses drain plug. When the parts guy at the dealer handed me the oil filter box, the drain plug washer was taped to the top.

3. What is the best place on the net to buy MB oil filters? Or is there a better filter to buy?
> Palm Beach MB dealer = $13.00 for MB filter

4. What other additional maintance is done besides new wind sheild wipers, check fluid levels and rotate the tires is in a B-service?
> I have a copy for the Palm Beach MB service checklist..... I will post soon.

Thanks,

Brian Richardson
Jupiter, FL
www.brianrichardson.net
2003 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor Sedan
1997 Plymouth Prowler with matching trailer

** Answers to the question are marked by > **

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
answers

answers listed above.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congrats Brian!I joined the Benzworld recently and found that your posting is very helpful. According to your last one, may I know when you'll be able to post the listing for Service B? Mine is a 05 C230 Coupe (Kompressor). Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Changing oil in a 2005 c230.

Hi,
I am a first time buyer of Mercedes, apparently no one mentioned the cost of the oil change and etc. associated with these cars. I would like to do the oil change service myself to save some $. My warranty has expired and I do not qualify for an extension. I have a few questions if someone out there knows the following.

1. Do I need special tools to remove oil and oil filter? As compared to like an American or Japanese built car?

2. I have noticed my car did not come with a dip stick how do I check my oil level?

3. What type of oil do I use and how much?

4. After the oil change how would I reset the service message which appears on my dash board display?

By the way my car is a 4 cylinder supercharged 2005 c230.

Thank you,

Tajinder

·
Registered
17 Posts
How to change your oil and filter.

Hi,
I am a first time buyer of Mercedes, apparently no one mentioned the cost of the oil change and etc. associated with these cars. I would like to do the oil change service myself to save some $. My warranty has expired and I do not qualify for an extension. I have a few questions if someone out there knows the following.

1. Do I need special tools to remove oil and oil filter? As compared to like an American or Japanese built car?
A:You will need a 27mm socket to remove the oil filter plastic housing located against the firewall.

2. I have noticed my car did not come with a dip stick how do I check my oil level?
A:You use the "Check Oil Level" feature on your dashboard display.

3. What type of oil do I use and how much?
0w40 Mobil-1 synthetic, 5-1/2 liters or 5.7 US quarts.

4. After the oil change how would I reset the service message which appears on my dash board display?
Close the door, turn the ignition on (don't start the engine), toggle to ***miles to service B, hold reset button down, message will appear "hold reset down for 3 seconds to reset service reminder", release and press reset button again until the service reminder changes, done!

By the way my car is a 4 cylinder supercharged 2005 c230.

Thank you,

Tajinder
Good luck!
John G.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just changed the oil on my 02 C230..I need to reset the b service warning..Where is the reset button? I see buttons on both side of stering wheel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just changed the oil on my 02 C230..I need to reset the b service warning..Where is the reset button? I see buttons on both side of stering wheel.

Hope this can help you... I recently found out how to reset the service timer on a 2005 C230.

1. Have door closed
2. Put ignition into on position (2nd position) ac fan,dummy lights should be on
3. Toggle through menu find the "A/B service due in ??? miles"
4. Hold reset button @3 seconds
5. Then it will ask you if you want to confirm, then press again
6. Now you are done and can go on your way

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Congrats Brian!I joined the Benzworld recently and found that your posting is very helpful. According to your last one, may I know when you'll be able to post the listing for Service B? Mine is a 05 C230 Coupe (Kompressor). Thanks!
I downloaded this from the MBUSA Owners website. I thought it was interesting.
If you notice, there are a lot of "CHECKS", rather than outright replacement.
I suppose most of this, if not all, you can readily do yourself, well before the
Mileage Due Date.

Be sure to update your Maintenance Log Book so you and others know
what services you performed.

A-Service — First visit at approximately 10,000 miles or 1 year, but determined by Flexible Service System; then every 20,000 miles or 2 years.
Interior
· Function check
· Check warning and indicator lamps, illumination and interior lighting
· Check windshield wiper, windshield washer system, headlamp cleaning system
· Reset maintenance service counter in instrument cluster

Wheels, brakes
· Check front brake pads for lining thickness
· Check tires for damage, condition
· Correct tire inflation pressure

Engine compartment
· Change engine oil and filter
· Fluid level checks of the following:
· Engine cooling system, antifreeze and corrosion protection
· Windshield washer system
· Brake system
· Check and correct battery fluid level
· Check battery condition
· Check catch, safety catch and hinges on engine hood for proper operation
Trunk
· Correct tire inflation pressure in spare tire

B-Service — First visit at approximately 20,000 miles or one year after previous service, but determined by Flexible Service System; then every 20,000 miles or 2 years.
Services performed:

Interior
· Function check
· Check warning and indicator lamps, illumination and interior lighting
· Check windshield wiper, windshield washer system, headlamp cleaning system
· Reset maintenance service counter in instrument cluster
· Replace dust filter (not applicable to SL-Class)
· Replace combination filter (SL-Class)
· Check parking brake (function test only)

Wheels, brakes
· Check condition/thickness of front and rear brake discs
· Check front and rear brake pads for lining thickness
· Check tires for damage and condition
· Measure tread depth, record in mm
· Correct tire inflation pressure

Underside of Vehicle
· Check for major components leakage
· Check for chafe marks, line routing, damaged components
· Check condition of front axle ball joints and rubber boots
· Check condition of mechanical steering components and rubber boots

Engine Compartment
· Check for major components leakage
· Check for chafe marks, line routing, damaged components
· Check and replenish all fluid levels
· Change engine oil and filter
· Check engine cooling system, antifreeze and corrosion protection
· Check brake system
· Check power steering
· Check Active Body Control
· Check windshield washer system
· Check and correct battery fluid level
· Check catch, safety catch and hinges on engine hood for proper operation
· Check condition of poly V-belt

Trunk
· Correct tire inflation pressure in spare tire

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hope this can help you... I recently found out how to reset the service timer on a 2005 C230.

1. Have door closed
2. Put ignition into on position (2nd position) ac fan,dummy lights should be on
Thanks so much..Just reset my FSS..It was so easy!!!
I love this website...It has saved me lots of $$$$$$

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got quoted $220 CAD for an oil change on my C230 Kompressor sedan which I find absolutely rediculous considering it's less than half the price to get a synthetic oil change anywhere else - some places are even 1/4 of that price.

Does it voice warranty to do the oil change yourself or have it done elsewhere? I ask because I found a place that actually does Benz oil changes and they claim to keep your warranty in tact but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Meant to say VOID warranty..... not voice warranty!!
Additionally I have read on other threads that Benz includes oil changes during the warranty period and my C230 is still under manufacturer's warranty - can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Meant to say VOID warranty..... not voice warranty!!
Additionally I have read on other threads that Benz includes oil changes during the warranty period and my C230 is still under manufacturer's warranty - can anyone confirm?
Re read your Owners Manual.
You are not REQUIRED to have a Stealership do your Oil Change or Maintenance related services.

However, like you said earlier, in order to maintain your warranty, you have to
comply with basic standards and specifications.

An Oil Change with Factory OEM Filter Change EASILY complies with this.
You can do it yourself using a Fluid Evacuator Oil Extractor - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review

If your MB Warranty INCLUDES the Oil Change, heck yes I would have them
do it. As long as they don't charge you.
You cannot charge someone for something that is under Warranty.
That's the entire philosophy and assurance behind a Warranty.
It's probably there to maintain the Warranty, but certainly not to
ensure the warranty. That would be ludicrous.

Oil changes at the Stealership are an OPTION but not Mandatory.
( unless SPECIFICALLY written out ).

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I changed the oil in my 2003 C230 Kompressor yesterday. (Actually my dad changed the oil.) He put 5.5 quarts of Mobil 1 10W-30. Is this the right oil to use or should I get 0-40, 10W-40 (the car does have high mileage), or anything else?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts

1. Have door closed
Thanks a bunch rchiu! This helped me out:thumbsup:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I changed the oil in my 2003 C230 Kompressor yesterday. (Actually my dad changed the oil.) He put 5.5 quarts of Mobil 1 10W-30. Is this the right oil to use or should I get 0-40, 10W-40 (the car does have high mileage), or anything else?

Thanks!
It is recommended to use Mobil 1 0-40 at least for my 05 it does. I did my own oil change and no it will not void warranty from what my service rep told me. He told me just to keep a record of the amount of oil used, type of oil, type of filter, and at what mileage it was changed. Unfortunately oil changes are not covered under the warranty I got with the car. 5.5 is about right. If he did the ol fashion drip method just make sure he replaceses the drain plug washer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK I feel better. Thanks. From here on out I'll use 0-40 though. The car manual says 5.5 quarts. I think that's where I got that number from. I do remember reading that if too much oil was put in, the motor could be damaged. And we do not want a damaged motor so we're following protocol here:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks!

1. Have door closed
Thank You so much! You saved me from a trip to the Dealer! Got the oil change done - Replaced the filter myself, had to add coolant, and changed brake pads!
But key was to reset the counter and thank you for that!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
15 Participants
hand
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing