Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

As the title says the car just revs in 1st gear and won't change up so I started to investigate a bit with the help of the forums I found the electrical connected on the gear box it is a round cylinder type connector that is screwed on to the the box I took this connector off and it was just dripping out oil not a lot but enough to soak the connector

I ve tried cleaning it on the car as i didnt want to start start stripping anything once cleaned put it back on with no luck with the box does the connector come apart from the wiring or will I need to find the wiring from inside the car and replace the wiring and the connector

Or is it stealer job

Any advice much appreciated

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
You can DIY, but you also need to check the TCU (the other end of that wiring harness) It's under the passenger-side floorboard. Pull the carpet down and you'll see a foam insulator panel covering a metal panel and the TCU is attached to the backside of that. If it has oil, it might be toast - you can try cleaning it, but when oil wicks into, it usually kills it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just quick update have checked the car removed the TCU and have put a new pilot bush on it the wiring was covered in oil so i cleaned all the wires did notice that the wiring was wet in oil from the TCU side i have opened the TCU and looked inside but couldnt notice any oil on circuit board

put it all back togther and nothing happened still the same wont change from W to S and stays in first gear

i am going to try a different TCU and see if that makes a difference but have heard that the TCU has to be recoded to the car and for that i need to have the STAR diagnostic

1 - 3 of 3 Posts