Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Along with the cosmetic changes outside, and minor interior changes, and the option of a DVD based navagation system, I have read MB will be coming out with all new engines which will use direct injection technology. Does anyone know when the facelift will happen ? Im guessing 2003 or 2004. Does anyone have anymore rumors about the new engines that will be available ?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I read some rumours about this too. One variation was that the new E-Class, to be introduced next year, will be the first gasoline direct injection M-B. If that is true, then it's only a matter of time before GDI engines are added to the C range. 2003 would seem to be likely.<p>The GDI should add some fuel efficiency (maybe 5% to 10% better than the present car) and perhaps a little extra power and cleaner emissions as a bonus.<p>I'm hoping that by the 2004 model year, the C has GDI, as the summer of 2003 will be when I order mine.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
partial correction...

Of course, everyone (including me) should know that the first GDI Mercedes-Benz was the 300 SL of the 1950s... so the new GDIs would be the first MODERN M-B gasoline direct injection engines. Sorry :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike, Why order then?

Is it just your money situation? Because if it isn't then<br>Why not just get one now and then get another in four<br>years or so? Cars are like computers, they are<br>always getting better. How do you know in 2003<br>you won't want the 2005 model.<br>Why wait? It never stops getting better.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more interesting thing that I read about the GDI engines........

Automobile magazine stated that with the GDI engines, MB will use 4 valves a cylinder instead of the current 3. Now I don't know if they will switch to a DOHC setup or stay with the SOHC layout.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: C 240

Yes, it is mainly the money situation. I want to save a large downpayment for the car and it's going to take me until 2003 to get there. With a nice home, mortgage, wife and 3 kids, there are often other priorities. I'm not wealthy by typical Benz owner standards but I like nice cars and I want to own at least one new Benz at some point in my life.<p>Luckily for me, the Classic version of the C 240 is available in Canada and it only costs about $24K US up here. I'm not that much into pure luxury or speed. I just want a beautifully engineered, safe and reliable car that's fun to drive and own.<p>I'm planning to keep it at least 15 years, maybe 20+. My present car is 13 years old and has about 2 good years or so left in it.<p>Don't worry, it's not "the grass is greener" syndrome. As you say, if you get into that game, there's never a right time to commit to anything.<p>So, if the first 2004 model year C 240 has direct injection, great, if not, that's fine too. I'm still going to get one!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: GDI engines........

Leo,<p>Did Automobile have any comment as to when the GDI engines might appear on the C 240/320? I know that Peugeot and Mitsubishi are already selling GDIs in Europe; M-B can't be that far behind. And the V6 engines are the heart of Mercedes' engine lineup - I would therefore expect them to get the GDI heads sooner rather than later.<p>I also read (elsewhere) about M-B going back to the classic 4 valve per cylinder layout. It must be a challenge to fit 4 valves, a spark plug and injector in the same combustion chamber, but not an insurmountable one. I remember when M-B introduced the 3 valve V6/V8 lineup - they said it was the wave of the future, to meet tougher emissions standards. Strangely, the single exhaust valve in the present design is to optimise cold-start emissions reduction - odd because a cold start is a very temporary condition... Better breathing properties in other operating conditions would seem to me to be a more important factor on which to base a fundimental engine design parameter. Times change quickly, I guess.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: GDI engines........

Automobile magazine just said that MB plans to convert all of its gas engines to direct injection ones by 2004. Finally we will have an all new engine with more power. I expect more power and better emissions from these engines.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: 2003 C-class facelift rumors

i'm not that sure about cleaner emissions.<br> There was a well-known issue with Mitsubishi-derived GDI engines, enormous NOx emission levels.<br> I hope they fixed that already.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts