Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
van been running fine up until now, was reversing into my drive and it suddenly cut out, i was really really low on fuel so am thinking it ran out, but normally splutters when running out of fuel?, this was a sudden stop. Today had a look at it, put a tenner of diesel in craked it, nothing, took pipe off fuel filter and was dry as a bone, so sucked it up from the tank, nice taste of diesel, put pipe back on craked for 30 seconds still nothing, now battery is flat. Do i need to put foot on pedal etc? does that pump the fuel up. I have no warning lights or anything coming up so cant see what the problem is. Thanks Graham

·
Registered
1999 108CDI
371 Posts
You will need a fully charged, good battery to keep cranking and re-prime the fuel system. Maybe remove fuel filter, fill with diesel and refit before you crank up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will try that tommorow, have battery on charge at the moment, can't see as its going to be anything else as its been running fine up until now

·
Registered
213 Posts
It is a hell of a nightmare if you run out if fuel with the 638. Normally, a diesel car will take some effort, but it will eventually start. But with 638's you will have a real hard time. Had a mate who did the same, he flattened this battery trying to get it going again, then hooked up cables from another car, still had hard time. With primer and everything.

Maybe it was his bad luck, but I have heard several stories with these vans.

Good luck however, let us know the result :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yep. I were there when the mechanics changed mine. They changed the filter, then blow high pressure air into the fuel tank. Used some prime, pro guys. One cranking other one priming. Still took a good 10 minutes before it fired up. More then half of my battery I guess, the sound and lights got pretty dim at the end. Oh, and my van got strengthent battery due to its electronic park brake, electronic brakes and gas pedal. All rebuild from the fabric.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All sorted, filled up fuel filter, took air box off and about 20 seconds of cranking fired up, now I still have an issue with it can take up to 5 seconds or cranking for the van to start? Any ideas?

·
Registered
1999 108CDI
371 Posts
Could be clearing remaining air bubbles- check clear lines at fuel filter while engine idling, for bubbles. If bubbles are visible and don't purge eventually, there could be air entering system from failed seals. There are several threads to search on this if needed, but may sort itself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cannot see any air bubbles atall, thismorning took nearly 10 seconds to fire, when I did it spluttered a bit then went.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
right so tonight took van out for about 30miles, stopped at a friends house, went to start it, took around 10 seconds to fire up, all good drove it back home, but decided to stop at fuel station, didn't buy any fuel only a 5min walk from my house, went to start and it fired but spluttered, then stopped, now will not fire, so have left it their, gonna call aa tomorrow, really miffed as to what it could be, no air in fuel lines etc etc

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem solved, saw loads of air bubbles in the fuel line coming from pump, was looking at the top of my filter and their was a cable tie holding the middle pipe down on the filter, put a new one round and bubbles stopped hey presto. Starts every time. Now problem is reason why cable tie was round it is clip is broken. How do I get a part never for this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts