Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, sorry for the essay, hopefully this is a simple one for someone to answer.

I've recently bought this vito which came without a stereo fitted but the dealer gave me an old tape deck for nothing and I wasn't too fussed since I figured I'd get round to changing it anyway.

So this evening I had a go fitting the tape deck as a temporary measure. Went in without a problem and everything worked except the radio didn't turn off with the ignition. I've had this on cars before leading to a drained battery. I figured it would just be a case of switching the ignition and permanent power leads so got out the multi-meter to see what was what.

I've attached a diagram showing what I've worked out, but whats strange is the two switched power wires seem to work the opposite way to what I expected, they are at 12v when the ignition and lights are off respectively then go to zero when the ignition or lights are switched on. Is this normal?
Also whats the second permanent 12v in position A4?

I'm going to try and switch the wires in positions A1 and B1 to see if that solves the issue but thought I'd ask as well.

Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,429 Posts
Hi, sorry for the essay, hopefully this is a simple one for someone to answer.

I've recently bought this vito which came without a stereo fitted but the dealer gave me an old tape deck for nothing and I wasn't too fussed since I figured I'd get round to changing it anyway.

So this evening I had a go fitting the tape deck as a temporary measure. Went in without a problem and everything worked except the radio didn't turn off with the ignition. I've had this on cars before leading to a drained battery. I figured it would just be a case of switching the ignition and permanent power leads so got out the multi-meter to see what was what.

I've attached a diagram showing what I've worked out, but whats strange is the two switched power wires seem to work the opposite way to what I expected, they are at 12v when the ignition and lights are off respectively then go to zero when the ignition or lights are switched on. Is this normal?
Also whats the second permanent 12v in position A4?

I'm going to try and switch the wires in positions A1 and B1 to see if that solves the issue but thought I'd ask as well.

Andy
Switched and permanent power may sometimes be opposite on a radio from the car but your figure looks confusing.

Attached a W203 radio pin assignment diagram, you should have one or the other ("Becker" or "MB") depending if your car has CAN bus control or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine matches the 'Becker' plan from your diagram but instead of looking at the back of the stereo I've drawn mine looking at the front of the connector, so A1 on your diagram matches A4 on mine.

Will try swapping the permanent and switched power over later today and see if that cures it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts