Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased (well, not yet built) a 2002 SLK AMG 32. I want to install an aftermarket head unit because I hate CD changers in the trunks. Yesterday I learned all about the proprietary BOSE/MB fiber optic bus data network. Is there any adapter or anything that I can do to install a third party vendor's head unit? I'm not much interested in FM modulation either. Please HELP!!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You can get the MB10 which is an indash cd player.

In terms of adapters, mnay people have found the late model Volkswagen wiring harnesses to work with the SLK's wiring so that you dont have to cut it. The possibilities for head units are endless. However, some of the better ones (in terms of sound quality) are made by Nakamichi, Alpine and Eclipse.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: You can get the MB10 which is an indash cd player.

Is the MB10 the cd player only available in Germany? The dealer told me they cannot purchase this here in the states as an option.<br> <br> Also, does the volkswagon wiring harness interfere with the fiber optic ring that also controls the teleaid, cell phone, etc.? I am not getting any of those options, but I want to make sure that anything else is not effected (airbags and of the such). Is there a product number on the volkswagon wiring harness?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: You can get the MB10 which is an indash cd player.

BTW: The head unit I'm looking in to is the Riocar mp3 data storage system. The audio outputs are:<br> <br> 4V line level front & rear stereo RCA line jacks<br> 1V stereo RCA sockets on head unit<br> <br> From what I've read on other threads it looks promising, but I'm still not sure what exactly I need to interface the BOSE system. Thanks!<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I find myself in EXACTLY the same position as you. I hate CD changers, and want to use mp3's in the dash. Is that so much to ask these days in a $61,000 car?<br>
<br>
Anyway, one guy suggests purchasing a NEO Car Jukebox http://www.computerinnovation.com/neo35.htm<br>
<br>
Are the fiber optics needed for Tele-Aid? If so, I wouldn't mess with it since it might come in handy if thieves are trying to flatbed the car, among other things.<br>
<br>
It's idiotic to have to deal with this kind of thing on these cars. Other than that, I love the car.<br>
<br>
If you get any better suggestions, I'd appreciate the tip. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts