Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends, can anyone provide guidance on what is excessive oil use and if I should be worried? My 2002 ML500 Has 228,000+ miles, and I have to regularly put oil in, probably every 2 weeks, or less than every 500 miles. Feels excessive to me, but I’m not sure how worried I should be. My old MB diesel used oil too but it was an ‘84 with over 400,000. Thoughts?

· Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350 2005 ml350 SE 2022 F150 XLT
2,621 Posts
Welcome.

Pleas e add your year and model to your avatar click on right hand D in your case- account settings- vehicles-add.

That is a lot of oil. if no leak you are either burning oil (edit bad piston ring) or your breather box is clogged.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
forgive my ignorance, but these are recent repairs to fix obvious leak (and possibly other things unrelated to leak): o rings, oil cover gasket, coils, spark plugs, breather hoses, mass airflow sensor, throttle body. Still using oil every 2 weeks, even during covid I have to top it off Regularly. Are any of these things the same as what you are suggesting?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
forgive my ignorance, but these are recent repairs to fix obvious leak (and possibly other things unrelated to leak): o rings, oil cover gasket, coils, spark plugs, breather hoses, mass airflow sensor, throttle body. Still using oil every 2 weeks, even during covid I have to top it off Regularly. Are any of these things the same as what you are suggesting?
Also, I don’t have a visible leak under car, no plume of white smoke, and no Black smut on the back of my car.

· Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350 2005 ml350 SE 2022 F150 XLT
2,621 Posts
Yes the breather hoses were repaired but were the breather boxes removed from the valve cover cleaned and resealed using RTV sealant.

Check for a low leak behind the alternator at the timing chain tensioner.

But if it is not leaking it has to be going somewhere a tiny pin head drop of oil in combination at each spark, one is not to notice that is till you are down a quart. Have you pulled a spark plug to see if they are fouled.

Valve seals are another possibllity. But have not heard of that happening on an Ml.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.