Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2002 ml320 it was throwing a p300 and p302 code I fixed it just needed new wires. Recently a weird thing started to happen while driving and everything smooth all of a sudden I lose power and motor sticks at 1000rpm and doesn't respond to throttling except it acts like severe misfiring I turn off engine turn back on and everything is fine it has done this three times so far input would surely be appreciated. Thanks.

W163 and General Mercedes Host
Just bought a 2002 ml320 it was throwing a p300 and p302 code I fixed it just needed new wires. Recently a weird thing started to happen while driving and everything smooth all of a sudden I lose power and motor sticks at 1000rpm and doesn't respond to throttling except it acts like severe misfiring I turn off engine turn back on and everything is fine it has done this three times so far input would surely be appreciated. Thanks.
Welcome Dod,

Please update your user cp info.
click on your icon----> click on Account Settings---->
goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
ADD your make model YEAR ----> click save

Scan and post any saved codes.
Could be your MAF.
Check all your vacuum lines for any cracks, leaks
Also check your FP and FF. When was these last checked/changed?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Just bought the vehicle what is an FF and FP don't know if ever checked or changed I do know the engine was swapped with a remanufactured engine 30,000 miles ago.

Just bought the vehicle what is an FF and FP don't know if ever checked or changed I do know the engine was swapped with a remanufactured engine 30,000 miles ago.
FF=fuel filter
FP=fuel pump
Filter is in the pump and it's location

Engine swap has nothing to do with the FF or FP, unless of course, those were replaced too, at the same time. Check your paper work.

Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
FP fuel pump
FF Fuel Filter

Ten minute check get a loaner test gauge from auto parts store of your choice. If not discurraged you can probably test in the parking lot.

FP fuel pump
FF Fuel Filter

Ten minute check get a loaner test gauge from auto parts store of your choice. If not discurraged you can probably test in the parking lot.
wallyo,
US members are so lucky south of the border;
loaner tools, courtesy testing, etc.
Up here, unless you personally know someone with a shop or has access to the above (lucky me), most are sol.

Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
How many miles on it now?
Probably over do for at least a filter change.

May sound weird but it is a lot easier to change both at the same time. If you try to remove the filter only good chance you may break a line. Disconnect the lines fro the pump then remove filter with thoase 2 lines attached.less chance of breaking a line.

But one thing at a time test preasure then repot back.

Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
wallyo,
US members are so lucky south of the border;
loaner tools, courtesy testing, etc.
Up here, unless you personally know someone with a shop or has access to the above (lucky me), most are sol.
Wow none of the larger chains do that up North!
Damn its the best thing, the list of what they loan out keeps growing testers torque wrenches pullers vac pumps.

I instsalled a mini split in our house last summer. Love it! Highest winter utility bill was less then 100. US, did not start the gas furnance at all, only gas hot water heater.
Anyway had to vac pump the system, did a loaner pump from auto zone, kept it for 3 days no charge they even gave me fresh oil for it. I buy enough parts there so I do not feel bad. Since then i purchased a vac pump when I installed a system for my niece.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
How many miles on it now?
Probably over do for at least a filter change.

May sound weird but it is a lot easier to change both at the same time. If you try to remove the filter only good chance you may break a line. Disconnect the lines fro the pump then remove filter with thoase 2 lines attached.less chance of breaking a line.

But one thing at a time test preasure then repot back.
Ok these are the codes I pulled p108,p302 damages 3 way catalyst,p300 damages 3 way caralyst,p422,p221,p432 and has 169,000 miles. Like I said I got it with the p300 and p302 code but had that fixed runs smooth otherwise.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
You're probably right about them never changing the FF I just changed the cabin air filter and don't think it was ever changed since car was bought.

You're probably right about them never changing the FF I just changed the cabin air filter and don't think it was ever changed since car was bought.
You must have also inherited a good collection of leaves, bugs (ie, protien tablets), debris when you dropped the filter.

Wow none of the larger chains do that up North!
Damn its the best thing, the list of what they loan out keeps growing testers torque wrenches pullers vac pumps.

I instsalled a mini split in our house last summer. Love it! Highest winter utility bill was less then 100. US, did not start the gas furnance at all, only gas hot water heater.
Anyway had to vac pump the system, did a loaner pump from auto zone, kept it for 3 days no charge they even gave me fresh oil for it. I buy enough parts there so I do not feel bad. Since then i purchased a vac pump when I installed a system for my niece.
not to hi-jack this thread:

of course not. That would take away their business.
mini split? as in a split-use condenser?
For most of the year, I use a heat exchanger (HE) (purchased years ago at an auction) coupled to our gas furnace hooked up with ac. HE is good to draw heat from the air outside down to about 3C (37F) = $$$ savings
If anyone needs tools, their are a few tool and equipment rental shops in town. A good friend of mine owns the major tool rental outlet here and spends 1/2 the year in Mexico (not at the moment though). If I need a bobcat or any smaller machines for my yard use, etc. He transports it over on the weekend and sticks around for an evening of bbq, beer & company. Pretty good barter system we keep going, us older cronys still do.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
The 350 had the original Mercedes pump in it just changed it at 175,000.
More like a blizzard when I dropped the filter. What are your thoughts on the codes I pulled and sent you?

Check the condition of your SPs, SPWs and coil packs first.
Clear the codes and see if they come up again.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Check the condition of your SPs, SPWs and coil packs first.
Clear the codes and see if they come up again.
I was told the plugs,coils and injectors were changed but they didn't change wires I changed them and it runs much better. I will take your advice and get fuel pressure checked. I did clear codes and will see what happens. Stay tuned. Thanks

(y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Ok I haven't checked fuel pressure yet now it's surging and intermittently sticking at higher rpm's then shutting off. Go to restart once I hit the throttle it does the same thing. Do you still think maybe ff or fp?

Ok I haven't checked fuel pressure yet now it's surging and intermittently sticking at higher rpm's then shutting off. Go to restart once I hit the throttle it does the same thing. Do you still think maybe ff or fp?
It's certainly possible.

If you dont have a FP gauge, I believe (from what other members have stated - Post #9), you can borrow them from the local auto (sales) shops, or they can test for you too.

As wallyo posted - post#8? mileage?
Probably due for a change along with FP. (it's easier to do them at the same time)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.