Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am getting heat in the front but not in the rear.I am trying to get to the flap motors on the center console (driver side) but it looks like all one huge piece from driver to passenger side. How to remove ? Any pictures someone? I have searched and found nice pictures of the flap motors on earlier models but nothing for my 2002.:confused::help:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In order to get there you need to remove the top cover on the passengr side. This picture is from my 2002. Inspect the motor for malfunction and replace per instructions.
Thanks a million.Seen this but did not realize it was from an 02.Duh

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Do you have CODE 580 (a) Automatic Air Conditioning?

If so, there is a rear electronic blower regulator (N29/2) to be considered. Located behind the rear nozzle below the center console.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like to put the cause for my problems at rest.It was a broken actuator arm (plastic) on the stepper motor shaft.

·
Registered
2003 ML500 & E320
158 Posts
How do I determine the CODE? Im not really sure what the problem is with my 03 500. There is occasionally some air that blows, but only for about 5 seconds. To be honest it is like a valve opens and air from the front blower blows out then stops.

I don't know if the blower in the center console has ever blown air.

Thanks
Will
Dallas texas

Do you have CODE 580 (a) Automatic Air Conditioning?

If so, there is a rear electronic blower regulator (N29/2) to be considered. Located behind the rear nozzle below the center console.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
How do I determine the CODE? Im not really sure what the problem is with my 03 500. There is occasionally some air that blows, but only for about 5 seconds. To be honest it is like a valve opens and air from the front blower blows out then stops.

I don't know if the blower in the center console has ever blown air.

Thanks
Will
Dallas texas
Will, if you (and you do) have these dials then you have Automatic A/C. Any ML 2002+ has automatic A/C.

The first step is to see if the front actuator is working. Follow the instructions in post #2. Then watch the Rear Flap Actuator as you request A/C for the rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 ML500 & E320
158 Posts
Thanks 43sqd, post #2 says passenger side, but the photo looks like drivers side. Can you confirm?

In order to get there you need to remove the top cover on the passengr side. This picture is from my 2002. Inspect the motor for malfunction and replace per instructions.

·
Registered
2003 ML500 & E320
158 Posts
OK, update. The rear valve was not opening. I have it manually opened and some cold air is coming out.

Next problem is that the rear fan is blowing of and on by it's own. It seems to blow for about 5 seconds or so, then not. I have tried auto and manual speed selections.

I see a motor as either working or not, so I don't know why it would vary speed on it's own.

Is there any known issues about this problem?

Thanks for the help!

Will

·
Registered
2003 ML500 & E320
158 Posts
As I stated in post 11, the rear actuator valve was not working. With it manually opened there is air now flowing but now the problem is the rear blower.

Why would the blower turn on and off intermittently?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
It is not a valve; it is an actuator motor.

The rear A/C controls could be looking for a signal from the actuator motor that is not working, before it allow the blower motor to operate.

Install and new actuator motor and then take it from there.

·
Registered
2003 ML500 & E320
158 Posts
Ahhhh. That makes sense, if the "actuator motor" is malfunctioning i guess the motor can't see the operating signal.

More Monday when I can get a replacement.

Thanks guys...

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
Ahhhh. That makes sense, if the "actuator motor" is malfunctioning i guess the motor can't see the operating signal.

More Monday when I can get a replacement.

Thanks guys...
This should be the correct part number for the Actuator Motor, but let the parts guy determine that. Also make sure that parts 112 & 114 are not cracked or broken.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 ML500 & E320
158 Posts
Ok, I pulled the motor and found the arm cracked. Also when imran the truck the motor turned continuously. It ran in both directions and really never stopped.

In removed the motor from the wiring harness and the rear blower is still acting crazy.

Tomorrow I will get a new motor and arm.

Will

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
Ok, I pulled the motor and found the arm cracked. Also when imran the truck the motor turned continuously. It ran in both directions and really never stopped.

In removed the motor from the wiring harness and the rear blower is still acting crazy.

Tomorrow I will get a new motor and arm.

Will
For the time being, remove fuse #43 from the underhood fuse box. You will have to see if anyone has spilled any liquid on the rear controls.

·
Registered
2003 ML500 & E320
158 Posts
You will have to see if anyone has spilled any liquid on the rear controls.
Not sure how to check that out. They seem to react properly to input. The auto turns on and off. The upper and lower selection works. I guess the fan speed is the one of question.

If someone did spill on the controls, is there an electrical cleaner or do they need to be replaced?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,145 Posts
There is electrical contact cleaner, you will want to remove the panel from the truck
to use so that the surrounding interior parts are not sprayed with it.
The following products say they are safe for plastic, but I never trust claims
like that because of the high vinyl content in auto interior trim.

I use a product called Electra XL Contact & Circuit Board Cleaner | Safe On Plastics | Superior Industries, Inc. it safe for plastics and really blast crud and gunk away. It comes two cans as a minimum order for $60.
Sams Club sells a product called Misty. It is $60 for one can. Contact & Circuit Board Cleaner - Sam's Club
Mouser.com has a cleaner from Tech Spray and it is $50. 1668-18S Techspray Chemicals

1 - 20 of 33 Posts