Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice site...maybe I can pick someone’s brain a little??? I bought a 2nd 2002 ML 320...we love these cars...46,000 miles ...yeah , original....problem is only one key....bought a working Micky Mouse key at dealer and like an jerk I wiped it out of the ?????? With a borrowed AutoLogic scanner so......when I hooked up the scanner I found a ????..(anyone know what shows the keys numbers)
it read #1 was empty. #2 was for this truck but I never had that key...#3 is our key.( working FOB ) .....4,5,6, 7 are empty..#8 showed a key. must have been that valet key from the dealer....SO....is this the AAM we are talking about??? Or maybe the immobilizer in the steering column???? To Be Continued....thanks, Al

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,862 Posts
It has been awhile, but I believe the Mickey Mouse key should always be in key track #1. It should be able to be reprogrammed to accept that key in track #1.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Noodles...thank you for your input...that would be fantastic if I could get that key working again...Track # 1 ??? is that in the AAM we are talking ???? Or the immobilizer in the steering column???? Or something else in my trucks system? What was I looking at???

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,862 Posts
I am not sure on the Autologic as I have only seen one in use once. When I did a key we got from the dealer a few years ago using the MB Star computer it was accessing the AAM.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The AAM....that’s what I thought but......o.k. If I put (swap )my 200000 mile AAM with my 46000 mile AAM , and of course the blades for the column to function, that would give me two keys for my wifes truck and leave my well used, spare vehicle ml with only 1....any naysayers out there on why I should not do this???..... Let me explain where I am with this. When I first bought this truck I checked for recalls. I Brought it to a local MB dealer for the brake light switch which had not been done yet on this. While there I presented them with a brand new switchblade FOB. (MB says can no longer supply this item for our older trucks, valet key only) I Purchased this FOB off eBay, it was new plastic with buttons, new printed circuit board inside, he cut blade perfect. he did it from 2 pictures I sent of my key, (works perfect) and a brand new UN dedicated chip. I thought if anybody could it would be a dealer that could acclimate the chip to my car but that’s not the case. They swore they tried but no good...yeah, that dealership was just sold again so........I walked out of there with $146 bill for the hour and a half labor...still with one key....the Ebay guy repeats over and over don't go to a dealer, use a locksmith, but I was there already anyway......I Don’t know how many calls I’ve made the local locksmiths to no avail. The only offer I have come across was one shop said they could import a guy from like 40 miles away. It would take a day in their shop, and I would get 3 chips to use as I please, all for a mere $500....yeah... five hundred dollars.....anyway Give me mechanical work and I could keep up with the big dogs, but electrical not so much, I saw that right up on the remote start with pushbutton ignition I thought that was going to be my salvation but then I started thinking about doing all that wiring .....I’m Looking for an alternative.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update, my plan would work if the cars were built before 11 of 1999. But seeing as their 2002 the key function is off the ECM. And that is something I’m not willing to mess with switching around. Then I decided if I’m going to pay $500 for this gup to make up a key well .....I bought the unit that does the transponders in the 97 205 ML‘s and after I finish with it I’ll figure something out whether I rent it out or sell it out right.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
702 Posts
Just putting this out there for those that may not know 8 tracks 3 keys per track a total of 24 keys.

Just curious why did you just not order another mickey mouse key? I know having the remote is nice

.Or just go back to the dealer and say your new Mickey key stopped working?

Let us know how the programming goes,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey wallyo.... The dealer made me a second valet key when I told him that it stopped working. N/C....I was hoping for a positive outcome but it didn’t work...actually that was my fault...I was in a rush using the auto logic and pressed the wrong button and I wiped it out, it said permanently, not that block and unblock...It was in slot No. eight. I had once bought a used fob on Ebay and it synced to my other car, so my plan just to take the Mickey Mouse keys and remove the transponders from them and install one of the new transponder chips I ordered on eBay. Then I am going to attempt to dip the end in some of the liquid rubber that we use on our tool handles.... Then hang the key from the fob ....the fob minus any chip.
I just reread your post, it’s my understanding (from the Service Writer) that the Valet key was only on one slot..#8...are you saying they could have made it for one of my 5 other empty slots??? It could explain why the dealership changed hands 3 times in the last 4 years...

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
702 Posts
Econoline

Read hear starting at post 23
It will give you somemore info

8 keys three tracks per key,

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I'm in the same boat as Econoline. Picked up an '01 ML55 AMG w/ 90k miles a couple weeks ago with 3 "keys", in the loosest sense of the term. One key works to start the vehicle but no remote lock / unlock. One was literally chewed to bits buy someone / something and the 3rd give me the "error" code right after start then kills the engine. No remote lock / unlock at all. Checked the one fuse under the hood that even remotely pointed to the remote and it was good. Tried to find out (in these forums) if there was a fuse or relay for the AAM, to no avail. Anyone know? It know the AAM is mounted under the fuse block, so figured there'd be fuse / relay I could Check. Is the alarm tied to this same unlock / lock functionality? Just wondering if I could just bypass the AAM completely and get aftermarket solution for lock / unlock, then use the one working key and get a Mickey Mouse for a backup to start the car. Knowing MB, they probably have 26 and a 1/2 systems tied together and I'd screw everything up!

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,971 Posts
I think I'm in the same boat as Econoline. Picked up an '01 ML55 AMG w/ 90k miles a couple weeks ago with 3 "keys", in the loosest sense of the term. One key works to start the vehicle but no remote lock / unlock. One was literally chewed to bits buy someone / something and the 3rd give me the "error" code right after start then kills the engine. No remote lock / unlock at all. Checked the one fuse under the hood that even remotely pointed to the remote and it was good. Tried to find out (in these forums) if there was a fuse or relay for the AAM, to no avail. Anyone know? It know the AAM is mounted under the fuse block, so figured there'd be fuse / relay I could Check. Is the alarm tied to this same unlock / lock functionality? Just wondering if I could just bypass the AAM completely and get aftermarket solution for lock / unlock, then use the one working key and get a Mickey Mouse for a backup to start the car. Knowing MB, they probably have 26 and a 1/2 systems tied together and I'd screw everything up!
Aftermarket solution -

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
910 Posts
Nice site...maybe I can pick someone’s brain a little??? I bought a 2nd 2002 ML 320...we love these cars...46,000 miles ...yeah , original....problem is only one key....bought a working Micky Mouse key at dealer and like an jerk I wiped it out of the ?????? With a borrowed AutoLogic scanner so......when I hooked up the scanner I found a ????..(anyone know what shows the keys numbers)
it read #1 was empty. #2 was for this truck but I never had that key...#3 is our key.( working FOB ) .....4,5,6, 7 are empty..#8 showed a key. must have been that valet key from the dealer....SO....is this the AAM we are talking about??? Or maybe the immobilizer in the steering column???? To Be Continued....thanks, Al
Hope you get things resolved.

I know a member here who has a voluminous mental inventory of how the AAM authorizes and allows Keys to unlock the immobilizer function. What he knows goes over my head, but I'll give you his website which has his phone # so you can call or text him, in case you need more input on the whole key hassle.

His name is Rodney G from Birmingham, and his site is here:

He doesn't make or have keys but he should be able to guide you as to how best to proceed.

Myself, I was fortunate to get 2 working Remote FOBs / Switchblade key (originals I believe) when we purchased our ML500 4 years ago, but their plastic shell is getting kind of weak, plus when I learned how MB isn't offering more I decided to 'bank' them and get 3 "Mickey Mouse" valet keys at the dealer.

3 valet keys = 1 for my daily use, 1 for wife, and 1 for 'hide-a-key' on vehicle.

We don't use the FOBs anymore UNLESS we will park in a sketchy area where the alarm function is important - ergo 1 FOB stays inside the ML for this possibility.

Luckily we live in a very safe rural area / near zero crime area so there's no worries.

BUT I will read Khomer2's post just before this one to see about the HELP Aftermarket Keyless entry, perhaps that's one route to take.

Ah, the manifold challenges the older MB Owner is forced to take up !

About like owning a Windows 7 computer going forward.....

Happy New Year to you all - David in Texas

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK gentlemen, looking at the years of your vehicles take that AAM right out of the equation. As I said in prior posts after 11 of 1999 the key function moved to the subsection called the FBS. I would really like to know about this 3 keys per slot because its not happening on my two ML’s..there are check marks on each key number that has been used.....no checks for open key ..I wrote a transponder for a open key # and it worked perfectly.....upon trying a second writing for the same Number I kept getting an error message. Both my ML’s came originally with #2&3 key #’s used....I never had key #2 for the wife’s car so I also tried to write that....again .. ERROR MESSAGE
The good news is there was enough open spaces to allow me to write two new fobs (used actually) and a spare transponder.
My new toy is the MB Keymaker and I am excited....the Third function links the remote to the vehicle...just an FYI....I was able to start the car with a blade only, holding the transponder by the ring under the blade...I moved the transponder out of range and the vehicle stays running.....oops..dinner is ready...T.B.C....Al

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,971 Posts
OK gentlemen, looking at the years of your vehicles take that AAM right out of the equation. As I said in prior posts after 11 of 1999 the key function moved to the subsection called the FBS. I would really like to know about this 3 keys per slot because its not happening on my two ML’s..there are check marks on each key number that has been used.....no checks for open key ..I wrote a transponder for a open key # and it worked perfectly.....upon trying a second writing for the same Number I kept getting an error message. Both my ML’s came originally with #2&3 key #’s used....I never had key #2 for the wife’s car so I also tried to write that....again .. ERROR MESSAGE
The good news is there was enough open spaces to allow me to write two new fobs (used actually) and a spare transponder.
My new toy is the MB Keymaker and I am excited....the Third function links the remote to the vehicle...just an FYI....I was able to start the car with a blade only, holding the transponder by the ring under the blade...I moved the transponder out of range and the vehicle stays running.....oops..dinner is ready...T.B.C....Al
Al,
Thanks for sharing this info. (y)
link to keymaker - MB Keymaker - software + interface
pricey, but when you figure the price the stealership would charge....

seems to be useful for at least 4 of the 5 mbs we have in the flock.

·
Premium Member
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,221 Posts
after 11 of 1999 the key function moved to the subsection called the FBS
In English we call it the DAS (Drive Authorisation System). Auf Deutsch, es ist der FBS.

DAM = Drive Authorisation Module = DAS module = FBM = FBS modul

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the link, that’s the exact unit I bought from that exact supplier, if you follow the link and read the owners manual there’s a lot of good info for you. two things l totally disagree with ......one, that the dealer will charge you a lot of money, my dealer out right said they could not do it so ......number two, the manual shows them replacing key number three, A key that had been written previously ........I’m going to try again tomorrow but I was pretty thorough getting that error message every time I tried to make key that had been made already..... I must’ve called 20 local locksmiths, no one could or wanted to do it. Finally a local repair shop called someone they knew And as a combined effort I got a quote for $500 & leave the car for a day. First off I love to do things myself ....secondly for $60 more I’m doing both my cars and what I’ll do with the key maker When I’m done is yet to be determined. A 10 pack of transponders was $28 on eBay....

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
702 Posts
Would be neat if you could figure out a way to rent it out. Using something like pay pal person puts up 500 you mail it to them, when their done it gets mailed back or to the next person. You minus out rental cost and refund the rest.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great minds think alike......on eBay some dude rents out an expensive tool for BMW head work....deposits thru PayPal....trying to think of the safest way for both parties....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh yeah......wallyo..post #7.....I managed to unlock, and make fully functional one of the Mickey Mouse keys...I’m not sure if it was the original or the warranty replacement....the other MM , no luck..I chopped it up for the blade....
So...anyone have an idea for a hide a key...this car has no hitch receiver....thnx, Al

1 - 20 of 39 Posts