Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been reading much about this issue regarding the ESP/BAS system on the ML320. Specifically, the few cases where drivers had their vehicle literally brake at high speeds, leaving them unable to control the vehicle. Given the longstanding history of electrical issues with my ML320 (draw on battery that took 2 years to solve....ended up being "two fuses that needed to be replaced" and car stalling when idle.....ended up being a faulty crank position sensor), this ESP/BAS system worries me.

Back when I was having issues with the draw on my battery and its often needing to be jumpstarted nearly biweekly, I had seen this ESP/BAS icon light up on my cluster. I have never had any "symptoms" such as this random brake locking, though. Since the draw on the battery and crank position sensor were fixed (approximately 750 miles/4 months later), I havent had ANY issues with my vehicle.

With all of my trips to the MB dealer over the past 2 years, I have never heard them mention any errors with this ESP/BAS system (even though the icon had lit once or twice over that time period). Is it safe to assume that this icon lit up on the cluster because of the battery draw/drain issues with constant jumpstarting that I was going through?

If I simply switch off the ESP button on the panel, would it deactivate the system? Thus, I wouldnt have to worry about ever incurring this random braking that can occur with this vehicle?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To follow up on my post, I just read through tons of threads on this site regarding ESP/yaw rate sensor malfunction and subsequent brake locking at high speeds. I saw many people that said just flip the ESP switch to "off," while others said this wont stop the braking problem.

So, what is the correct answer? Will flipping the ESP switch to "off" eliminate the risk of having the brakes randomly lock (should an underlying yaw rate sensor issue exist)?

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
You have no issues that would indicate any major "system" problem for you to be concerned about.

Your battery drain was a seaprate issue and it's the shop's fault they had a issue with getting a correct diagnosis.

A CPS sensor is a mechanical sensor which is a "consumable" and does wear out - which was diagnosed and replaced.

Yes, those other issues triggered warning lights - but that was then, and you have no "ddper" issues without any fresh symptoms.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I understand where youre coming from, as Im not seeing anything malfunctioning or experiencing symptoms.

Basically, I drive back and forth across New York and Pennsylvania often, through the mountains at high speeds. The last thing I need is for the ESP to randomly kick in on a highway turn at 75mph and lock out one of my front brakes - Id be done for. Ive read many posts on here where it has happened to folks without any warning signs.

This is why I ask if simply turning the ESP button "off" will eliminate this risk of the brakes randomly locking out....

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
From what I can gather from your original post you had a battery/fuse problem which means at some point you had to disconnect the battery - Is this right?

IF so, your BAS/ESP light will light up each time the battery has been disconnected to indicate to you that you need to re-synchronise the system.

You re-synchronise the system by turning the steering wheel ALL THE WAY to the left and then ALL THE WAY to the right - The BAS/ESP light should go off.

Let us know if this works for you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply, FAR. I havent had the ESP/BAS icon light up for months...it had happened once or twice when I was having battery issues and problems with the crank position sensor (both of which are fixed). It is not currently lit up.

As I mentioned before, I worry that (based on others' stories) the ESP could malfunction and trigger this unintentional brake locking of random wheels. Given the unpredictability with which this happened to a lot of folks on this message board, Id like to PREVENT this from even being a consideration.

Therefore, I am simply asking if turning the ESP switch "OFF" would eliminate the risk of having a wheel randomly lock up as Im driving down the road (keep in mind I have NEVER had this happen.....I just dont want it to ever happen).

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Thanks for the reply, FAR. I havent had the ESP/BAS icon light up for months...it had happened once or twice when I was having battery issues and problems with the crank position sensor (both of which are fixed). It is not currently lit up.

As I mentioned before, I worry that (based on others' stories) the ESP could malfunction and trigger this unintentional brake locking of random wheels. Given the unpredictability with which this happened to a lot of folks on this message board, Id like to PREVENT this from even being a consideration.

Therefore, I am simply asking if turning the ESP switch "OFF" would eliminate the risk of having a wheel randomly lock up as Im driving down the road (keep in mind I have NEVER had this happen.....I just dont want it to ever happen).
Your fears are a legitimate concern which I myself share:eek: - I know that other members who had this random braking problem and fixed it did so by changing either their lateral acceleration sensor or yaw sensor.

I am NOT advocating that you rush out and buy these parts and replace without being certain that they are even faulty (especially since you say the light has not reappeared since).

Have your traction control module codes read by a dedicated scanner and go from there.

And no, I don't believe you can prevent the random braking from happening by switching the ESP off; since that never really turns the system fully off.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
My thoughts..

I have a couple of ML's in my "fleet" and have owned other ML's since '98, and I have full confidence in my trucks or I would have sold them.

Any ETS or ABS system on any car can malfunction - there is no indication that your risk driving your ML is any higher at than driving any other car with ETS and ABS.

Like most cars with ETS, the ETS off switch is there for specific obscure situations, the switch is not there as a safety option. Read the manual for more about the use of that ETS switch.

Will turning off the ETS give you more psychological confidence ? Probably.

But frankly that is a emotional over reaction to a hyper perceived "risk", and a misunderstanding that the optional control to switch off the ETS is a safety feature.

Good luck !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts