Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the 2002 ML320 traditionally has a "long" brake? I just recently purchased it used and (compared to any other vehicle Ive ever driven) it seems that I need to press the brake halfway to the floor before it begins to stop.
I just had the car inspected, and new brake pads as well as brake fluid were replaced.
We also"bled" the brakes to release any possible air trapped in the brake lines with no real change in them.
This may simply be how the braking system is for this vehicle, and I just need to get used to it. Can anyone offer any assistance? Im grateful for the help....

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,044 Posts
Since you had the fluid changed and not knowing how it was done, it sounds like there is still some aire trapped in the system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could it be a problem with the brake booster? Would this show up on the instrument panel if it was an issue?

·
Premium Member
2006 E55: 1999 ML430; 2002 E430 4matic; 1988 190E 2.3; 1993 XL883
301 Posts
My pedal goes down about an inch. It sounds as though you may have some air in the system as 43sqd states.

Since you had the fluid changed and not knowing how it was done, it sounds like there is still some aire trapped in the system.
Did you use Mercedes DOT 4 brake fluid?

I would bleed the brakes again.

Drain most of the fluid from the reservoir and fill with DOT 4 fluid.

Then, starting the bleeding process 1st with the rear passenger, then rear drivers, then front passenger, and finally front driver side. Topping the fluid off after each wheel.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3
2,982 Posts
Although halfway down does seem like a bit much, since you just purchased your vehicle, it is worth noting that there is a bit more pedal travel than on some other vehicles. Do a search, others have described in more detail what I'm referring to.

·
Registered
2004 ML500 w/ Sport Package
601 Posts
mine goes realllyyy far before it starts working. it was like that on my old 2001 Ml320 as well. i had it checked out and bled the brakes, but it stayed the same. i'd just call it normal for this car. its like that on my S430 too.

·
Registered
2001 ML430, 1983 300SD, 2008 GL450
904 Posts
The brakes do "feel" like you have to press further than with other vehicles. It wasn't that noticeable to me but I drive a wide variety of vehicles. But others who only drive one vehicle and are used to a particular feel always make a comment about the brakes when driving my vehicle. But if you are truly having to depress them 50% before any engagement then there is something likely wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts