Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML320
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, as i tried to change my fuel filter on my ML320 2002, i broke the little clips from the fuel line that clips onto the fuel filter, and its the line that goes to the engine intake manifold.. the line still stays clipped onto the filter and its not leaking of anything, its just that i called the dealer and they say the body has to be lifted from the frame in order to replace the line, because they cant fix just the clips at the end of the line, but the shop foreman there said maybe i can feed the line from the filter towards the engine without lifting the body from the frame.
Has anyone ever done that? can you help please? maybe i can simply pull the line off the filter and put new filter in and put the line back? has anyone ever had to feed the line from the filter to the engine without lifting the body? its the new upgraded fuel system.. part number 1634762101 on the fuel filter diagram its the number 095
Thank you so much!

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,142 Posts
I have seen the job done and it sounds a lot worse than it is.

The dealer will tear through somebody's wallet over this repair. A good indy tech will save a ton on labor.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes ML320, 132k
266 Posts
I have done the job, and it's nowhere near as bad as it sounds--really quite straightforward. (I chewed up the line on the first filter change--with the official tool--and it gave out on the second change.) I lifted the near side and loosened the far side and that worked well. It's really just 8 or 10 (big) bolts--there's no reason to minimize; just loosen them. Then jack the body with a big piece of wood to spread the load. You just need enough clearance to hop the old line out over the body mounts.

Parts.com has the line. Mine arrived with a connector rather different from the original, and it was missing the "keeper'. Fortunately it's a Ford Dorman connector and the local auto parts had the missing piece. (5/16" if I remember correctly). You could also try installing an aftermarket connector in the old line, but I think that takes a $30 tool, so you're almost at the cost of a new line.

And the job gives you time to contemplate why Mercedes has such an utterly idiotic filter location.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain and helping me here, i really didnt know what to do, called the dealer and he quoted me at 420$ for the labor and 90$ for the line, so around 510$ and its a 500 mile round trip, to get to the dealer, ill see if i can replace it.. thank you

·
Registered
(W163) 2005 ML 350 2002 ML 500 1999 ML 430
697 Posts
You only have to lift one side of the body. --> Broke fuel line--what are my options?

Did you purchase the special tool for removing the fuel lines? If you didn't, there is nothing more I can say.
I’m looking to do this same job and replace (95) 1634762101 does this come with the connector that the service only loop would need to connect to? If not what’s the part number?
Thanks

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have seen the job done and it sounds a lot worse than it is.

The dealer will tear through somebody's wallet over this repair. A good indy tech will save a ton on labor.
I’m looking to do this myself with a friend to replace (95) 1634762101 do you have an idea of how long it would take using a jack and jack stands? Also what special tools would I need? I’m trying to figure out if the line (95) comes with the connector needed to attach to the service only fuel line.

Thanks

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have done the job, and it's nowhere near as bad as it sounds--really quite straightforward. (I chewed up the line on the first filter change--with the official tool--and it gave out on the second change.) I lifted the near side and loosened the far side and that worked well. It's really just 8 or 10 (big) bolts--there's no reason to minimize; just loosen them. Then jack the body with a big piece of wood to spread the load. You just need enough clearance to hop the old line out over the body mounts.

Parts.com has the line. Mine arrived with a connector rather different from the original, and it was missing the "keeper'. Fortunately it's a Ford Dorman connector and the local auto parts had the missing piece. (5/16" if I remember correctly). You could also try installing an aftermarket connector in the old line, but I think that takes a $30 tool, so you're almost at the cost of a new line.

And the job gives you time to contemplate why Mercedes has such an utterly idiotic filter location.
What is a keeper? And is the 5/16” connector what plugs into the service only loop line? I know you said it came with a different connector so I’m trying to get the right parts. I believe this is what I need. I don’t know if it comes with the line.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,142 Posts
I’m looking to do this myself with a friend to replace (95) 1634762101 do you have an idea of how long it would take using a jack and jack stands? Also what special tools would I need? I’m trying to figure out if the line (95) comes with the connector needed to attach to the service only fuel line.

Thanks
I can't imagine doing on the ground. I am sure it can be done, but I had it on a lift. It took about 3 hours, but I took my time.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,405 Posts
I’m looking to do this same job ...
With some prior knowledge of your mechanical aptitude (and, let’s face it, there is a wide spectrum represented on this forum), my best advice is to pay someone else to do this for you.

An MB dealership could have your ML500 back on the road for $510 five years ago, which might mean 3-4 hours of work by a trained technician with access to a hoist and all the required tools.

As demonstrated on another long-running thread, a determined DIYer could take 1-2 months, lacking tools, know-how, and competent assistants, and still not complete a task that took me 10 minutes.

·
Registered
697 Posts
With some prior knowledge of your mechanical aptitude (and, let’s face it, there is a wide spectrum represented on this forum), my best advice is to pay someone else to do this for you.

An MB dealership could have your ML500 back on the road for $510 five years ago, which might mean 3-4 hours of work by a trained technician with access to a hoist and all the required tools.

As demonstrated on another long-running thread, a determined DIYer could take 1-2 months, lacking tools, know-how, and competent assistants, and still not complete a task that took me 10 minutes.
What’s the typical rate for MB technician at the dealer?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts