Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on a mission to see if a 2002 Mercedes C COMAND Navigation Head Unit will work on a 2003 C 240 system? I tried the unit today and sort of failed, 2 out of the 3 harnesses worked. The Navigation and radio worked... but not the cd or changer.? It's got to do with the 3rd harness ( different pin connectors ). has anyone come across this problem? is there some sort of adapter?

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
2001-2004 Comand's are all the same and any C that came with Comand from the factory will work. If your car came with a cassette player, then the C connector is different and you'll have to do some surgery. If you are into adapters, check with Steve the Europimp, he made some sort of harness adapter years ago, don't know if he still sells them or not. He's in Holland and his website is mbenznl.com.

I have the Comand WIS and my website and the color wires you have to swap on the C to C1/C2 connector changes. You'll need to get these connectors and either splice them in or swap out the connector heads like I did which looks better but is more work.

Don't forget the GPS antenna and a current CD for your area. I'm selling the CD's cheap here for 2009 if you are interest for $50. Tomorrow I put them on EBAY.

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
1,903 Posts
You can also make your own adapter harness from a MB official retrofit harness plus an ISO stereo harness with the connectors slightly modified. This is what I did and it was perfectly plug-and-play, and I can take it out at any time to go back to cassette.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I tried going to Downtown L.A.'s MB dealer yesterday and tracked down a MB Technician and he didn't know the answer... so then i went to parts department (like these guys know anything) and all i got was two phone numbers to stereo shops. where can i pick up the retrofit and iso harness from? i can do the mods, i just need the top harness with the 18 pins to replace the current top harness with 5 connectors. I really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Retrofitiing COMAND to Mercedes Benz Vehicles

The retrofit harness is part number A203 540 09 09, the ISO harness you can get from any stereo shop. It is sold as a VW radio harness. Hacksaw the key sides of the connector off, relocate a couple of pins to the CANbus positions and wire it up to the retrofit harness. You can actually use the retrofit harness to plug into all the connectors on the car directly, but you have to take most of the dash out so I do not recommend it. Be aware that when I looked up the article in WIS on retrofitting COMAND it only talked about the MOST version, so the instructions were sort of useless. You have a GPS antenna too, right?

If the COMAND came from a car with optical sound (it probably did) and you have the speaker connector hooked to the back you might need to recode it. You can tell if it is set for analog output in the diagnostic menu. (diagnostic: http://www.mercupgrades.com/Mercedes+COMAND+Diagnostic++Service++Mode-article-13.html)

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
It would have been a total fluke if any MB mechanic at any MB dealer would have any real clue as what to do, heck, the ones at my dealer have trouble doing oil changes. Best bet is to pick up a pack of quick splice connectors at Rat Shack for $2, pickup the factory harness that Zeet mentioned above and cut off the C1 and C2 connectors from it, throw the rest away, and follow the color codes on my website to splice them in. You can go back and forth from Cassette radio to Command and it will take you about 15 min to do when you get the radio out. Just check connectivity with a meter first Keep in mind, that you need the dealer to recode your car for Comand or it won't display on the MFD.

Things to do while you go it apart -

- attached jack of plug for AUX - cheap to do, I use the wire from old headphones and have it come out the ashtray so I can plug in my iPod. Comand WIS on my website has the connector layout, easy to do. I bought the pins from the dealer and solder them to the headphone wires and pushed them into the connector. The pins are a buck each or so.

- hookup a Parrot kit with steering wheel control module, lets you have BT and make calls from steering wheel (answer/hangup/volume up/down). Seach the forum on how I did mine.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Yeah, with the time spent outside of the car building the harness the changeover is super easy. I like to use heatshrink and the crimps that have no plastic around them, makes for a super-clean harness. Just the force of the pins is plenty to hold the C connector into the harness adapter, it actually takes a serious tug to get it apart. You can use the factory aux harness if you want the connector to snap right in, or just buy the repair pins and wire in any connector you want for aux input.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! I'm gonna go out and pick up the stuff and get back to you guys. I do feel a little overwhelmed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay.. I have the Command, but i don't see a aux button.? does anyone know who i can access the aux? and what's the MFD?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Aux is in the SVC menu. It has a different set of bass and treble controls as well.

The MFD is the display in your instrument cluster. directions only show up on the COMAND display if you do not get the cluster recoded, I'm fairly certain. Mine has not been recoded yet, so I am not sure here, but the manual talks about directions showing in the MFD.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm gonna use the aux that came with the MB harness, but not sure what wires to connect from the headphone jack to the harness.? should i just play with it? any tips?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts