Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
02 G500
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some things are really starting to drive me crazy! I cant remember a time when everything was fine in my truck for more than two weeks! still... i love her.

the main issue is lights. a light is always going out somewhere. In the past year, every single mark lamp, 3 tail lamps, and now a headlight have gone out. I think the dealer even replaced the wiring harness. Does anybody know of a solution that will fix this for good?

My SOS airbag light keeps coming on too. Last time I took it in to get fixed, the dealer crashed my car. So when it comes on again...EEK!

I just want all these problems to be fixed so I can actually enjoy my car... so any advice/suggestions would be great. I guess I should've waited until I could get an '03.

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
All of the newer Mercedes are very sensitive to voltage levels.
I would monitor the voltages very closely. You are most likely getting voltage spikes (possible from the altenator regulator).

Chuck

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Gunit - 5/11/2005 12:42 AM

some things are really starting to drive me crazy! I cant remember a time when everything was fine in my truck for more than two weeks! still... i love her.

the main issue is lights. a light is always going out somewhere. In the past year, every single mark lamp, 3 tail lamps, and now a headlight have gone out. I think the dealer even replaced the wiring harness. Does anybody know of a solution that will fix this for good?

My SOS airbag light keeps coming on too. Last time I took it in to get fixed, the dealer crashed my car. So when it comes on again...EEK!

I just want all these problems to be fixed so I can actually enjoy my car... so any advice/suggestions would be great. I guess I should've waited until I could get an '03.
I don't know about the airbag indicator, but MarcO replaced all the crappy bulbs in his with a better brand; and hasn't had a problem with them since.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
The lights might now be going out. I was having this problem on my 02 as well. before you buy a new light double check to make sure it has not just come loose.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
if you are replacing anything more than once the problem is whats driving the bulbs, not likely the bulbs. Marco had several computer replaced on his truck and i think that also addressed the bulb burning issues. I would do some post searching on this site so you can bring the info to the dealer to tell them you want X and Y done.

·
Registered
G 500, 55K
486 Posts
Been there and done that. Bulbs - mb keeps pushing French Osram. Go into any Autozone and ask for a replacement. They will give you a 79 cent japanese generic. I replaced all 4 marker lights (the ones with the VW/Audi part number) and lo and behold - NO marker light faults for the past 16 months. Now the airbag is undoubtedly a short from some service guy who diddled where they should not diddle. Hang in there. I have felt your pain. I now have 50k on my Tectite troubled '02 and she is finally living up to an MB reptuation but it has been long and painful. Unfortunately, we are all addicted here and we would rather fight than switch (I am glad you are still here, Kerr.)

[:)]

·
Registered
02 G500
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Braingears - 5/11/2005 2:03 AM

All of the newer Mercedes are very sensitive to voltage levels.
I would monitor the voltages very closely. You are most likely getting voltage spikes (possible from the altenator regulator).

Chuck
do you think it could also be possible that this is coming from an aftermarket sound system? I'm running two 10" woofers with an amp. No aftermarket head unit though.

ewalberg - 5/11/2005 12:59 PM

if you are replacing anything more than once the problem is whats driving the bulbs, not likely the bulbs. Marco had several computer replaced on his truck and i think that also addressed the bulb burning issues. I would do some post searching on this site so you can bring the info to the dealer to tell them you want X and Y done.
good idea. for some reason the search function wont work using my internet. it seems nothing works these days! but ill do the search and print from another location [:)].

MarcO - 5/11/2005 1:07 PM

Been there and done that. Bulbs - mb keeps pushing French Osram. Go into any Autozone and ask for a replacement. They will give you a 79 cent japanese generic. I replaced all 4 marker lights (the ones with the VW/Audi part number) and lo and behold - NO marker light faults for the past 16 months. Now the airbag is undoubtedly a short from some service guy who diddled where they should not diddle. Hang in there. I have felt your pain. I now have 50k on my Tectite troubled '02 and she is finally living up to an MB reptuation but it has been long and painful. Unfortunately, we are all addicted here and we would rather fight than switch (I am glad you are still here, Kerr.)
Will do. i take it the new bulbs were the fix... not any computer replacements?
mines tectite and turning 50k as well [:D]!

...today I noticed that the door lock pin that came out of the door before is out again. not sure if it was never fixed, or if one of my "friends" accidently pulled it out...[xx(]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts