Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 LWB LHD G400 CDI
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I really like to have a G, and in my country there are only few dozens due to lack of official import by MB dealers and a very high tax (130%) on personal imports (also, we can only import vehicles up to 2 years old).

There is a 2002 G400 CDI for sale, so I went to check it;
- engine sounds good (havent drove it yet, been there to the close of the shop).
- bottom side of the engine is pretty wet (oil).
- interior looks fine
- one pre owner
- aircondition not working
- right back door cant be opened from the outside and the electric window is not working.

the VIN start with WDB4633331X129XXX
the engine is OM628 and SN start with 62896240011XXX

I never had a G before, really like to have this one but read few osts here and there that make me rethink this purchase.

I can "handle" few electrical problems (like the window..) but I dont want to turn my dream of a G to a mechanical nightmare :)

so I would really appreciate your input about this particular G;
- should I consider it?
- how many troubles I might have in the future?
- what should I check before buying it?
- any other help :)

hope to have some quick replies so I wont miss it..
Many thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,979 Posts
Two things:

1.) What is your country? That might make a difference in how well you can have it serviced.
2.) The G400CDI is one of the most problematic models of the G that was produced - especially with the engine. Production was stopped after a very short period of time. They apparently liked to live in the repair shop.

I would not buy it.

·
Registered
2002 LWB LHD G400 CDI
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dutch,

1. I live in Israel. my wife's father has a mechanical shop (general, not for MB).
I have some experience with car diagnostics (LandRover Mostly).

2. can you elaborate a little about the sort of problems?
(I would have take your advice with no questions but this will mean no G for me :) )

Thx

·
Registered
2001 G400CDI
322 Posts
Some of the problems all g400 tend to have, especially the early ones: turbo oil leak (insignificant in quantity but present), timechain clacking noise on startup (solve by replacing tensioner usually), transmission issues (solve by replacing the conductor plate, socket, atf and filter), cylinder head noise (in my case not yet manifested, but can be repaired by replacing the camshaft - they have a new part number).
I think those are the "heavy" ones. Not that heavy if you ask me.

Other problems tend to be of electrical nature like the tv tuner draining the battery at night, door sill lights flickering and burning out every 2 to 3 years, right seat control module/door sontrol module socket contact issues (use wd40), window power regulators (mecanical plastic s*** roll - replace the whole thing - common to all G's).

Other than that (in my case at least) great truck, very powerfull with high torque.

PS: usually people cannot breathe near the left side :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts