Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E55
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I sold my 2001 SL500 and picked up a W210 E55. Silver with black/white designo interior, 90k miles. I do most of my own work so I'm starting a thread to document the process, get help from the W210 folks here, and hopefully provide some tips for others.

The interior is great, and in mint condition. The rest of the car, however, needs to be gone over. It has the wrong struts in the front and H&R springs while the rear springs are stock or maybe cut. The spring perches look to be in good shape. There's some rust on the suspension components but thankfully nothing on the body. Front subframe plate that's directly above the plastic cover does have some rust on it, so I'll need to address that.

It is leaking from all the usual areas - breather cover, valve cover, oil cooler, filter housing, timing port. The AC doesn't work, maybe the compressor died because it's absolutely covered in oil. It looks like the transmission was serviced recently since the gasket looks fresh. I've started taking it apart, and hope to complete most of the maintenance/refresh work over the next 2 months or so.

I flew out to KC to buy it and drive it home. Unfortunately I did not realize the car was repainted until I got home... dealer claims he didn't know (yeah right). But the carfax is clean and there doesn't appear to be any signs of an accident so I assume it was for cosmetic reasons. It's a decent paint job. I overpaid for it, but it's only money and I wanted the designo interior. Plus I got tired of looking!

The day I picked it up

Started taking it apart two days later

Rusty subframe plate

Wrong model struts with H&R springs in the front. Spring perches look good.

Ball joints look decent but everything will be replaced. Plus that control arm has seen better days.

Rear suspension

Not looking forward to replacing the subframe mounts

Oily AC compressor

Gonna have to address the rear main seal - bummer

Idler pulley was cracked in multiple places, and tensioner pulley was also gone

Valves look good

Took over the living room

Greasy

Gotta love RTV

Nice and tidy

My other project in the background ;)

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG , MY05 CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,572 Posts
well done,,,some of that oil at the rear could have come from the valve and breather covers,,,,i would clean it up and see how it goes for a while,,,,
enjoy.

·
Registered
2001 E55
19 Posts
I'm looking forward to this. I actually called on that very E55 right after they took a down payment from you. (small world) I ended up picking up a 2001 base model and am about to start this same journey. Jealous of the interior you got.

·
Registered
2002 E55
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm looking forward to this. I actually called on that very E55 right after they took a down payment from you. (small world) I ended up picking up a 2001 base model and am about to start this same journey. Jealous of the interior you got.
Ha! Small world indeed. I think this car is a bit of a basket case and I should have done a better job of vetting it so you are probably better off. What are the details on your 2001?? Where did you find it?

·
Registered
2001 E55
19 Posts
Ha! Small world indeed. I think this car is a bit of a basket case and I should have done a better job of vetting it so you are probably better off. What are the details on your 2001?? Where did you find it?
I actually just found it down the street from my house here in KC, and also think I over paid... It's a complete base model and is pretty clean overall, but still needs some details. It was a two owner car with 133k on the clock. I need to replace one of the headlights as the driverside was sagging a bit due to a crack in the mounting bracket and am trying to see if there are any decent aftermarket lights with glass housing available.

·
Registered
2000 E55 AMG
34 Posts
Hello. Congrats on your purchase. Looks pretty clean! Last year I got a 2000 E55 and had to fix several of the same things you are. This summer I replaced the shocks, front upper and lower control arms, ball joints, tie rod end links, and stabilizer bar bushings. Also I replaced some of the rear suspension links.

Here's a thread about replacing the sub frame bushings in case you haven't seen it.

It looks like a tough job. If you take it on, I hope you share your experiences here. Good luck!

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,736 Posts
Jeebus31,

Nice find. Keep us posted with your progress and LR storage. You're either single or you've got a good mate that allows you to use your own space (in this case the LR) for whatever. (y)

·
Registered
2002 E55
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually just found it down the street from my house here in KC, and also think I over paid... It's a complete base model and is pretty clean overall, but still needs some details. It was a two owner car with 133k on the clock. I need to replace one of the headlights as the driverside was sagging a bit due to a crack in the mounting bracket and am trying to see if there are any decent aftermarket lights with glass housing available.
I inquired about that one as well. It looked super clean, I'm sure it's a great car. Congrats!

·
Registered
2002 E55
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jeebus31,

Nice find. Keep us posted with your progress and LR storage. You're either single or you've got a good mate that allows you to use your own space (in this case the LR) for whatever. (y)
Ha! I had to clean it all up today. She can tolerate it for a few days, but not for a prolonged time. She's pretty great about tolerating my hobby.

I am waiting for all the boxes to come in... full suspension, brakes, motor/trans mounts, AC parts... I am probably going to replace the water pump, thermostat, and hoses as well. Might as well get it done since everything is apart now. I am also debating replacing the crankshaft pulley.

·
Registered
2001 E55
19 Posts
I inquired about that one as well. It looked super clean, I'm sure it's a great car. Congrats!
Thanks... Did you make them an offer on that one? I ended up paying $1500 less than what they were asking. (still too much)

Is there a certain site you use for parts? I'm new to the Mercedes would and wanting to find a good site to order from. My VW/Audi's I had used ECS Tuning and they have some refresh kits for the Merc, but just didn't know if there was a better option. I'm also on the hunt for Renntech parts to start collecting if you or anyone else knows anyone that may be hording some.

PS. Super jealous of the 'other project'. I promised the Mrs a new house first and another garage stall before I purchase any more.

·
Registered
2002 E55
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At least your Valve train looks clean not like mine ...Unbelievable
Wow! Needs a thorough cleaning!

Thanks... Did you make them an offer on that one? I ended up paying $1500 less than what they were asking. (still too much)

Is there a certain site you use for parts? I'm new to the Mercedes would and wanting to find a good site to order from. My VW/Audi's I had used ECS Tuning and they have some refresh kits for the Merc, but just didn't know if there was a better option. I'm also on the hunt for Renntech parts to start collecting if you or anyone else knows anyone that may be hording some.

PS. Super jealous of the 'other project'. I promised the Mrs a new house first and another garage stall before I purchase any more.
Yes I offered 7k I think, shortly after he posted it online. He wasn't interested in negotiating at the time, but I think you got a good deal at 1500 off asking. I like to use FCPEuro and autohausAZ for most of my purchases. Sometimes I use ebay, particularly if I need a cheap specialty tool. Haven't found any renntech parts.

The turbo has become my new daily driver while I sort out the E55... it's a lot of fun! Put a ton of work into it as well, now it seems to be in pretty good shape (knock on wood).

·
Registered
2001 E55
19 Posts
Wow! Needs a thorough cleaning!

Yes I offered 7k I think, shortly after he posted it online. He wasn't interested in negotiating at the time, but I think you got a good deal at 1500 off asking. I like to use FCPEuro and autohausAZ for most of my purchases. Sometimes I use ebay, particularly if I need a cheap specialty tool. Haven't found any renntech parts.

The turbo has become my new daily driver while I sort out the E55... it's a lot of fun! Put a ton of work into it as well, now it seems to be in pretty good shape (knock on wood).
I thought you may have been the other guy that offered 7k... I initially made the same offer and after seeing the one you bought go and not finding another anywhere remotely close besides Iowa, which I feared must have had rust issues I decided to up my offer. I've hear about FCPEuro, but autohausAZ is a new one to check out. I've been scouring eBay for parts. I still need to order a new bi-xenon to replace the sagging passenger light and want to find a preferaby matching wood nav dash, but am waiting to hear back from Matt at oCarbon about making a carbon fiber trim to replace the wood and putting it in place to swap in an Apple Car Play head unit make it feel slightly more modern. If that works out I won't need to worry about matching the wood as it will just be a template.

Don't mean to hijack your thread... Excited to see what you do and I'll try to put together a thread once I get started on mine here shortly.

Thanks for your help.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,309 Posts
Autohausaz. I use EPC to find the part number, then troll autohausaz, ebay, amazon to find genuine parts for cheap, or OEM brands. Lemforder, Bosch, INA, etc...

Managed to score the tensioner spring off ebay for $7, including shipping for my E300 using the part number off EPC. Brand new.

Sometimes it pays to troll ebay to get brand new genuine parts at a steep discount.

·
Registered
2002 E55
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Making some progress. Just about done with the buying phase for now. I have everything I need except maybe a water pump and power steering pump and associated materials. I'm out of town for the next little while so the rest will have to wait.

I cleaned up the MAF and installed new breather hoses. Then I put in a new crankshaft position sensor, it was much easier with the fuel line disconnected and the valve cover out of the way.

Best way to save the tiny E8 bolt from falling into the engine bay is to use some tape on the end of the socket

Closeup of the CPS location just above the bell housing, cleaned up

Yep, it was original

I installed new Bosch plugs and Bremi wires, cleaned up the coil packs, then reinstalled the valve covers with new MB gaskets. After that, it was time to play with RTV to install the breather covers. I fully admit that I am not an RTV artist...

Pass side bank all clean, torqued to spec, and ready to go. I still need to install the coil packs on the driver side.

New idler pulley, tensioner, and belt.

I decided to change out the oil seals as well. Oil filter housing, oil cooler, and pressure port.

46 mm socket and breaker bar needed to break off the oil filter housing nut

Cleaned up the filter housing base. I used a little bit of red RTV to hold the valve cover gasket at the semicircles.

Engine degreaser to the rescue. I used a new pressure port cover and copper seal.

Good view of the oil pressure port with a bunch of components removed.

And here's how she sits for the the next 10 or so days.

Hopefully this will take care of the oil leaks at the top and front of the engine. I'll drive it a bit and see if there's oil coming from any other areas. I am pretty sure the RMS is dead but maybe I will get lucky and the oil at the bottom of the engine was just leaking down from the top. We will see.

In the meantime, I decided to go with Koni sports and H&R springs which were delivered yesterday. The rest of the suspension arms came in today. I am just waiting for a few nuts and bolts to come in to get going on the suspension rebuild. I'll do the brakes at the same time. So far so good (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG , MY05 CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,572 Posts
Great work,,,,excellent idea to replace the Crank position sensor,,,,
one question ,was the oil cooler easy to move,,,did you disconnect the coolant line,,,and access to the bolts ?

·
Registered
2002 E55
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great work,,,,excellent idea to replace the Crank position sensor,,,,
one question ,was the oil cooler easy to move,,,did you disconnect the coolant line,,,and access to the bolts ?
Thank you!

i didn’t move the coolant lines. I unhooked the SAI pump and moved it out of the way to access the small torx bolts. The SAI pump is just held in by one bolt so it’s easier than dealing with coolant lines in my opinion.

·
Registered
2002 E55
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got back today and put the rest of the coil packs back on with the new wires, and reinstalled the fan clutch and shroud. Took it for a spin, engine seems a little smoother. No leaks that I could see from the front or the top of the engine. There was some smoke from burning oil that had dripped onto the exhaust manifold.

Unfortunately, I have a few drips on my garage floor from the rear main seal after only taking it around the block. I guess the increased oil pressure from resealing everything worsened the RMS leak. I need to decide whether or not to DIY... any thoughts/prayers/insight highly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Well done ,,,sorry to hear you still have oil at the rear,,,one idea is to install rags or oil absorbent material at the bottom of the engine or in the splash guard to stop it dripping...
ps,,Thanks for all the photos...

1 - 20 of 66 Posts