Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone think I would be crazy to buy a 2002 E55 with a 151,000 miles for $10,500. It appears to have been very well taken care of and I am going to research the service history just to make sure.:confused:

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
If you're happy with it, just be sure the AT has been serviced (twice by that mileage) and the oil changes have been done regularly along with the other regular maintenance. You own an MB now, so you know it's an expensive car to own and maintain, if you're not familiar with common 210 issues here's a link to some about which you should be informed: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1346468-relatively-common-issues-w210.html

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
And do a PPI..

The price is sound - if the car is clean with no major mechanical - you can check edmunds.com for double check.

I paid $11K for a '99 with 103K 3 months ago, at low teen's any W210 E55 is a hard value to beat - as long as there are no major mechanical.

However, you have to be cautious, since unanticipated maintainence/service can add up depending on the car.

In addition to Greg's experienced recommendations, I would also strongly suggest a PPI by a local MB indie. A indie should charge $200-$250 for a thorough PPI, which is well worth it to have a clear outlook on the car.

MBUSA has the warranty service records on file, which can be accessed by any dealer with the VIN (as well as any recall servioce) but the individual dealer or indie who did the work will have the non-warranty records which are not uploaded into the system.

The W210 is basically bombproof, however transmission service is key to long term life for the tranny (and MB fricked up their service recommendations) as Greg points out 2 fluid changes would be best - 1 fluid change (when?) would be acceptable - no fluid changes you really have to have a PPI or actual fluid service to know the status.

Fresh rubber - low profile right rubber costs, check you local prices. Fresh rotors and pads about $1200 all the way around, about $900 for the special fronts, however once done they last a long time. Tranny - expensive and would in one shot make up the difference. Shocks - even Road and Track had a W210 with original shocks at 200K miles, but shocks are another check.

If you get a good PPI, and a solid car, then for a earnest private seller it would be a go. For a indie dealer/wholesaler, a maybe - but you would have to really-really have to have a detailed PPI - there are some indie dealers/wholesalers who know how to make a trouble MB driveaawy clean - to be major trouble later.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts