Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 W210 E320
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done so many searches and found about 20 million different suggestions for this. Most of which end up being wrong and end up not working.

I want to be able to hook my android phone up to my car and play music off of it. I have read about the tape cassette hack by jcplace and dont want to do it. I would rather have something cleaner like some kind of adaptor that will be better sound quality than the cassette hack.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Would it be easier to just get a new HU altogether or are there FM modulators or adaptors for android?:confused:

Appreciate any help.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
You could try some of the devices for D2B fiber optics on the Dension site, iPod Car | iPod car Adapters | iPhone Car Kit | iPhone Car Adapter | Hands Free Car Kits - Dension. Some of the devices, in addition to having iPod connectors, also have RCA and USB input capability. None of the D2B units I am familiar with have cell phone capability, so they would be limited to playing music. You would still need a cellular setup. See the How-To Guide sticky on cell phones, handsfree, etc.

·
Registered
2002 W210 E320
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Skylaw:

I looked at the compatibility chart on the Dension website and it "appears" that the "Gateway 500 Lite" here: iPod, iPhone and USB car adapter without text display - Gateway Lite is the only product they sell that could work for my car. Could you please confirm this? I am new to all of this and don't want to spend money on something that isn't even compatible. And you say I would have to set up my D2B system for cellphone compatibility to use this product? Could you please help me understand why?

Using the compatibility chart I have discovered that my car is D2B and NOT the "Most Fiber Optic System". You all probably knew this though.

Your help is very much appreciated.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
I have no experience with the Gateway 500 Lite - it is a replacement for an earlier model. However, it is the model Dension recommends for your car.

You do have a D2B fiber optics bus in your car. None of the BTA 1500 bluetooth add-ons work with the D2b versions of the Gateway 500.

You do not have to set your car up for cell phone compatibility if all you want to do is play music via your Android phone. However, if you want your phone to 1) receive a call; 2) mute music; 3) resume music when the call is complete, you will need Bluetooth capability. Also - because your Android phone will connect via RCA cables, it will not pause when music is muted. An iPhone connected to a Gateway 500 device via the 30-pin conector will mute and pause the music while a call is in progress.

Unfortunately, the other Gateway Lite models with Bluetooth capability are not compatible with D2B fiber optics.

Have you seen trentdufour's D2B unit he is selling? It's older than the Gateway 500 Lite - it seems to be the original Gateway 500 for D2B, the one the Gateway Lite replaced. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1663513-dension-ipod-integration-kit-sale.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts