Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes E320
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Ok that’ll give me a list to check over the weekend. It was cranking the whole time just not starting.
The battery itself is in good working order

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes E320
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So, to summarize,
  • You have checked that you have fuel pressure at the rail, and it has proper pressure values 40 psi or so.
  • You have replaced the CPS
-The engine now cranks but would not start
- You have sprayed starting fluid into the intake still no start

Based on the above, it is possible the fuel injectors, and / or ignition coils are not getting power (they get powerd up from the battery when the key is in position 2. If the injectors do not have power they will not inject fuel. If the coils do not get power, there will not be any ignition. You can remove one of the injectors and check the terminals if it gets power. You can also do a spray test (injector out , short crank). You can also remove one of the spark plugs and check for fuel after cranking.

You can also check the battery voltage that goes to the coils with key in position 2. (pin 2 in aech coil).
Ok so while I had a hot minute I checked the resistance on 33and 34 and still got nothing.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,972 Posts
Out of curiosity, what does the cluster say what gear is the shifter? Is it blank or does it change as you move the shifter?

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes E320
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Out of curiosity, what does the cluster say what gear is the shifter? Is it blank or does it change as you move the shifter?
The gears change in the cluster as I move the shifter

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes E320
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So just to give a rundown on the way the car was driving and acting...

I bought this car just a few month ago,
It ran ok when I didn’t get on it too hard. When I would hard accelerate the car was not shifting correctly and was really struggling to get up to speed and would loose power going up hills. When at a stop, in gear the car would idle rough and sometimes even stall.
I have changed the plugs, wires and coils since I got the car.
About three weeks ago the car stalled on me once while cold at a stop sign and it took a few minutes before it started again.
Then two weeks ago the car stalled while parked in a parking lot with the engine at operating temperature. The car would not start up again since that day. I have changed the CPS Crankshaft position sensor and the transmission adapter plug. So that’s where I am standing now. The car runs over but will not start. All the normal things are checking out fine, fuel, spark air.

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,707 Posts
If the engine is cranking, start is authorized and enabled. So it is not the transmission or shifter issue anymore. The CPS may have been changed but you may have a problem with the connector at either the CPS or the ECU side. If you have a scanner that you can plug in and monitor the rpm reading, the rpm should come up above certain level for the car to start, and the rpm signal is derived from the CPS signal. No CPS signal = No fuel injection and ignition. One needs to look at the CPS signal with a scope to make sure that the levels are fine and there are no missing impulses. Unfortunately one needs to have a scope and knowledge what the signals should look like (in conjunction with, and relation to the camshaft signal). Also check that the Engine coolant temp sensor is fine (check the gauge when the engine is cool). If the engine is cold and the ECU thinks it is fully warmed up, it will be hard to start the car due to leaner mixture.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,972 Posts
Bad camshaft sensor also exhibits the crank no start. Maybe a test is in order...unplug cam sensor and crank, see what happens?

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes E320
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
If the engine is cranking, start is authorized and enabled. So it is not the transmission or shifter issue anymore. The CPS may have been changed but you may have a problem with the connector at either the CPS or the ECU side. If you have a scanner that you can plug in and monitor the rpm reading, the rpm should come up above certain level for the car to start, and the rpm signal is derived from the CPS signal. No CPS signal = No fuel injection and ignition. One needs to look at the CPS signal with a scope to make sure that the levels are fine and there are no missing impulses. Unfortunately one needs to have a scope and knowledge what the signals should look like (in conjunction with, and relation to the camshaft signal). Also check that the Engine coolant temp sensor is fine (check the gauge when the engine is cool). If the engine is cold and the ECU thinks it is fully warmed up, it will be hard to start the car due to leaner mixture.
So I ordered me a new scanner yesterday, it should be here tomorrow, that hopefully give me a little more insight than the scanner I have now.
I ordered the icarsoft MB II.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts