1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes E320
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I’m at a loss with my 2002 e320.
It ran rough since I bought the car and in the last few days it quit on me once at a stop sign and didn’t want to start back for a few minutes but then finally started.
Yesterday it died again and didn’t start again. After checking all the fuses and the k40 module area it didn’t do nothing at all, no cranking nothing. I did a rap test and pushed down on all the connectors and then it started and ran for a couple of minutes and died again.
I attempted several times to start it again to no prevail. I finally had to charge the battery cause it ran down. Reinstalled the battery and now I’m back to no start. It almost seems like it is starving for fuel but I have good pressure.
Any help and direction is highly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,186 Posts
Does it crank but no start now ? Did / do you have Check engine light on when the car started ?

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes E320
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it crank but no start now ? Did / do you have Check engine light on when the car started ?
The car cranks over, I did change the crank position sensor, it was definitely more than $10, the check engine light is not on nor did it ever come on.
I installed all new plugs, wires and coils as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I do have to add that when my k40 was (is) bad, I had to open up the plastic housing (pry it open) to see the condition of the melted porition......car would still crank with k40 bad. my culprit was the SAS was not working

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes E320
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do have to add that when my k40 was (is) bad, I had to open up the plastic housing (pry it open) to see the condition of the melted porition......car would still crank with k40 bad. my culprit was the SAS was not working
What’s the SAS..? I did have the box open and I didn’t see any anything molten.

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
Could be a bad module fan blower. Remove the 2 pin connector next to the starter relay and the 40 amp orange maxifuse on the left top of the K40 module. and then try to start. If starts, the blower is bad if not, plug the connector back. Secondary Air Injection (SAI) relay issues, will not prevent the car to start.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes E320
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could be a bad module fan blower. Remove the 2 pin connector next to the starter relay and the 40 amp orange maxifuse on the left top of the K40 module. and then try to start. If starts, the blower is bad if not, plug the connector back. Secondary Air Injection (SAI) relay issues, will not prevent the car to start.
I did disconnect that wire and it wouldn’t do anything when I did that, not even crank.

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
With key in position 2 (run), measure the voltages on both sides of each fuse (except the 40 amp orange fuse) with respect to ground. All fuses should read 12+ Volts.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes E320
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With key in position 2 (run), measure the voltages on both sides of each fuse (except the 40 amp orange fuse) with respect to ground. All fuses should read 12+ Volts.
I’ll try that

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes E320
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did check all the fuses and they all show 12 volt. Now that the weather turned and it didn’t rain or was freezing outside..lol

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
With key in position 2, can you see the gear indicator showing "P" on the dash ? when you change the gear with brake pressed, can you see the change is gear indication?

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes E320
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With key in position 2, can you see the gear indicator showing "P" on the dash ? when you change the gear with brake pressed, can you see the change is gear indication?
Yes they’re showing and changing as I switch gears

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes E320
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took the k40 module out and I noticed that there were melting spots on one of the connectors. the connector directly next to the 40 amp fuse. Big red and white wire. I checked the voltage on that wire and get no reading.
image.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
The red/white wire goes to the smog pump and it is normal not to have any voltage on it with key in position 2. You should not have any voltage on the 40 amp fuse access tabs either, as the red/white wire is connected to the 40 amp fuse.

Next to it, the violet wire is the wire that goes to the starter solenoid.

When someone tries to crank the engine from the ignition switch, do you hear a "click" on the black ice cube relay next to 40 amp fuse ? if you do, do you see voltage (12V) on the violet wire ? You can back-probe the metal connector in A1. You may have a bad starter relay, or a bad starter which you need to eliminate prior to going further.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes E320
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The red/white wire goes to the smog pump and it is normal not to have any voltage on it with key in position 2. You should not have any voltage on the 40 amp fuse access tabs either, as the red/white wire is connected to the 40 amp fuse.

Next to it, the violet wire is the wire that goes to the starter solenoid.

When someone tries to crank the engine from the ignition switch, do you hear a "click" on the black ice cube relay next to 40 amp fuse ? if you do, do you see voltage (12V) on the violet wire ? You can back-probe the metal connector in A1. You may have a bad starter relay, or a bad starter which you need to eliminate prior to going further.
The starter turns over fine, it cranks over ok just not starting. The fuel pump kicks on fine as well and have ample fuel pressure

1 - 20 of 39 Posts