Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would you choose and why? Don't give me responses like 'get the M3 then spend the extra money on mods', I don't want those :). Also if anyone has owned both cars, I would appreciate some input from you aswell.<br>
<br>
Thanks alot.<p>adsl-78-251-230.mia.bellsouth.net

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All the car magazines i read so far report M3 beated Clk 55 in every test specially on the ........

<br> track that is when the M3 shine the most. M3 is a true 'SPORT CAR' with almost half the price of a Clk 55. One thing i don't understand is that why don't they compare it with the M5. It in the same price range with the Clk 55. Just because the M5 have a four door so it consider a sport sedan and not a sport coupe, PLEASE !!!!!! <p>66-42-121-183.lsan.dial.netzero.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CLK55 has more prestige, but they both look great. i dunno how the m3 beat the 55

ahhhhhh, i could've sworn the clk would win hands down, BMW came out with a super car for that price of 60k<br> <br> <p>cx544033-d.alsv1.occa.home.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And the new M3 has only 3.0L, it amazes me how this car can go so fast with such small engine

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Own a clk 55 and have been in both - as a daily driver the CLK wins. In the real world test of comfort and drivability the CLK shines. The track numbers are marginally different - if you need that extra few tenths of a second then your choice is already made<p>user-38lddcd.dialup.mindspring.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car has excellent gearing, not an automatic (less wheel hp loss), and uses a variable valve

timing. I'm pretty sure MB can do the same but they chose to use comfort (automatic and a little soft suspension), no variable valve timing because it's more reliable (less moving part), and bigger displacement because they want the car to have torque accross power band. If you look at the V8 specs of M5 and CLK 55, they are almost close. The use of Variable valve Timing and very high compression can make a 4.0 V8 pump 400HP versus MB 5.5 with no variable valve timing and acceptable high compression. The problem with M3 and M5 is you really have to spend a lot of money to put say a supercharger because of compression. Now our 55 motors will accept a supercharger without internal engine mods and give the car almost 500 HP with a Kleeman compressor.<p>c129059-a.cstvl1.sfba.home.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mercedes are still decided to stay with the old TECH. and substituded with "CUBIC PER INCH".........

<br> look! There's not much ADVANCE TECHNOLOGY in in a 55. It a basic design using 'CUBIC PER INCH' for more hp. Where's the BMW M engine are very advance and high Tech with such a small displacement and sell for almost half price of a Clk 55. By the way, Clk 55 is NO longer a Mercedes top dog any more, is the SLK 32 and C32 with $20,000 to spare!!!!<p>pixie.chulavista.lib.ca.us

1 - 7 of 7 Posts