Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
02 CL600
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about this but am hoping to simplify for now. Does anyone know if there is some sort of junction box or connector in the back end of the car that controls the rear lights? I have no parking lights, brake lights or turn signals. I really want to get this car back on the road. I have checked the fuses under the hood on the drivers side. Wondered if there was a particular fuse that I should check or maybe a relay that is not working.

The only odd thing is that none of these lights are working and the computer is not picking up on them. I am not getting an error message about it.

At this point anyone out there with any kind of tips on what to check would be greatly appreciated. I am very comfortable working on cars so don't hesitate on the response.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
All the rear lights & turn indicators are driven directly from the Rear SAM control module (N10/8) - no individual fuses are involved.

It would be very surprising if the entire SAM is toast as it controls other items also. Is the fuel gage working?

I wonder if you have lost a common earth contact? All the rear lights share an earth point in the rear trunk, called W7/1 on the circuit diagram - I think it is behind the lining on the right side. I can post a picture if it helps.

·
Registered
02 CL600
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually no the fuel gauge is the only gauge that is not working. Yes that would be awesome if you could provide me wtih a pic of the earth ground. I had considered that as a possibility but was not sure where that particular ground is. Thanks for the reply. I want to get this thing on the road again.

·
Registered
02 CL600
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where is the SAM located? Is there a way to check it or other items that aren ot working that I can check to see if the problem is the SAM and not the ground?

Also, is the SAM replaceable by me or is it something that the dealer would have to install and then flash?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
02 CL600
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess the last questions would be is there a way to bypass it temporariliy so that the car can be driven legally for now to get to a dealership?

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
A few answers here...

1. No way to by-pass the SAM unfortunately. (Are hand signals still legal in the US?)

2. As the fuel gauge is not working, as well as the rear lights, this more or less nails it to the Rear SAM.

3. I can show you the drawing of the trunk earth (W7/1) - but now I feel it is irrelevant.

4. I can post a drawing of the rear SAM location, but that means building the pdf tomorrow. If you want to start looking for it, it is hidden under a plate under the rear right seat cushion.

Don't try to remove it until you see the WIS drawing for details here and for separating the SAM from the fuse & relay box.

The WIS says nothing about a replacement rear SAM requiring dealership attention - so I reckon it's a straight swap.

Can you read a circuit diagram, and do you possess a multimeter - just to read 12v dc and continuity? If so I advise that, before you splash out on a new SAM, you do a few tests to confirm that this one is toast. If your answer is positive, I will post the SAM circuit diagram for you to study.

Attachments

·
Registered
02 CL600
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well last night I found the grounds and checked them. As you are already aware they seemed fine. I moved to the right rear seat and removed it. I found the fuse block of course and I found three modules. Two of them attached to the bottom of a metal plate and one attached to the top of the metal plate. I bellieve the one attached to the top of the metal plate is the REAR SAM you were referring too. Was not able to do much after that. I did disconnect the battery and reseat the connections on the modules. I inspected visually all the connecters both male and female and then reseated. After I was sure everything was plugged in correctly and ready I reconnected the battery and tested. No change at this time.

With this in mind, I am definitely leaning towards the SAM needing replaced. However, I first want to make sure I know which one it is (maybe you know the part number or have a pic of which one it is). Second, if you could supply me with schematics so that I can test continuity and voltage that would be terrific. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
OK - here's some detailed information on:

a) remove rear cushion
b) removing Rear SAM
c) separating SAM from relay & fusebox.
c) rear SAM circuit diagram

a) straightforward.
b) I'm not sure what that quiescent current device is all about. Unless it is to save the memory settings on windows, steering, etc. Disregard that.
c) Be careful not to damage other items here.

d) Circuit. If you study the 5 pages of ciruit + legend, you will note that the fuel guage B4 is connected to SAM N10/8. This has nothing to do with the failed lights, so it does imply the SAM has a fault. Also, measure for +12v dc at the rear lamp sockets, with the light switch set accordingly. Also check for earth continuity from both lamp socket E3 pin 7, and E4 pin 1 to chassis (W7/1). If no voltage is found, and earth is good, your rear SAM is faulty.

Attachments

·
Registered
02 CL600
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I am looking at this correctly I don't think any of the modules I was looking at was the rear SAM. It appears that the rear SAM is wrapped up with the fuse block. I attached a picture of what I thought was the rear SAM. Can you take a look and confirm.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
I've no idea what that one is... (I'm no expert on W215) but you should be able to identify the rear SAM from the WIS drawings above...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
02 CL600
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I pulled the fuse block and the rear SAM out and when I seperated them all I found was a ton of corrossion. I think I am going to just replace both parts and see what happens. Obviously I am going to re-route the drain hose as well since it is dumping water into this area. Go figure.

·
Registered
02 CL600
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tried to clean the corrosion and no luck. Absolutely nothing works still. Now after studying the schematics I see all the features that are not working. In any case, the only thing I forgot to look for was a main fuse in the fuse block that may run the entire module.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Ah...our old friend corrosion!

Maybe the SAM is actually OK, and it is just the corroded contacts that are the problem. Can you clean them up good enough to work - do you think? Often corrosion is only on the surface.

For the benefit of others reading this thread, what was the problem with the bad drain hose? Is it from the sunroof? Where should it go?

·
Registered
02 CL600
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Forgot to mention that there is something rattling around in the SAM as well. I am going to purchase a new one. I think it may need to be programmed. However, the cost will be minimal since I am doing it myself. That is good.

As for the drain hose, I think it is from the sunroof. I need to verify that and verify where it is supposed to drain to cause it obviously should not be draining into this compartment or there is a clogged drain in this compartment that is supposed to let the water out when it does get in there.

·
Registered
02 CL600
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well after working on it for the weekend I found that the rear SAM is completely toast. It is horrible, it appears that at some point it may have caught on fire due to shorting out. In any case, I will not be putting it back in lol. So I received the new module and began the process.

I cleaned all contacts for the fuse block and I used die-electric while putting it back together. Once I got everything back together I hooked up the battery and took it for a test drive. Everything worked. I had to program the windows and such but everything appears to be working.

So after replacing a couple of bulbs and filling up the windshield washer bottle I got rid of the last malfunction. So I have three things at this time that are not working.

1. Passenger seat is not moving forward when attempting to get into the back seat. Controls all function as they are supposed to and the seat will move forward manually.

2. Drivers side door eye is not working. I can stand on passenger side and using remote raise and lower the windows but the drivers side will not recognize it.

3. Trunk will not go up and down I have to manually open and close. This one is one that I would really like to fix.

Where is the motor located for the trunk? Anyone know?

Finally I have no idea what the scoop is for the drain for the sunroof. I routed it so that it would not cause damage again. Also, the rear SAM does not need programmed. It was plug and play.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts